2002 BMW 325 Battery or starter?

AZ2VEGAS
  • 2002 BMW 325
My car won't start, but did the other day after a jump. A jump wouldn't start it yesterday and the interior lights, etc, are ON. I may be naive, but that tells me it's more than the battery. Any thoughts?
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 12:21 PM

RLBSTUCKINHOU
YOU ARE RIGHT THE PRIMARY FUNCTION OF YOUR BATTERY IS TO TURN YOUR STARTER. REMOVE THE STARTER AND TAKE IT TO AUTOZONE, OR ANY PARTS PLACE. THEY WILL TEST IT FOR FREE! I WILL GUESS AND SAY THAT YOUR START SHAFT WILL NOT EXTEND AS NEEDED TO ENGAGE THE FLYWHEEL IF IT EVEN ROTATES AT ALL.
NOTE: DID YOU CK YOUR FUSES? MIGHT DO THAT BEFOR REMOVEING THE STARTER, HOWEVER IT SOUNDS LIKE A STARTER PROB.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 12:38 PM
AZ2VEGAS
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't checked the fuses, but will. When I turn the key to start it (it does turn), it just clicks. Starter?

I'm having it towed to AutoZone anyway, so I'll see if they can check the starter while I'm there.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 1:37 PM
DR. HAGERTY
Replace the battery and do not jump start BMW cars, ever. Jump starts can cause serious electrical issues with all of the electronics in these cars. If the battery will not start the car, it is either old or discharged.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
AZ2VEGAS
The problem was, in fact, the battery. I had it replaced at AutoZone (they even put it in for me) @ $135, instead of the $300+ BMW wanted to charge me! Thanks for all the input.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 12:52 PM
DR. HAGERTY
Always trust your Doctor!
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 8:23 PM