NO CLUTCH!

1987 BMW 325

robbkramer

February, 20, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

1987 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150, 00 miles

While driving, the care lost all torque to the transmission while in gear. I did hear a " cloink!&Quot. With the engine idling, I can shift into any gear without using the clutch. While towing, I can feel that the transmission is engaged but getting no torque from the engine. The clutch pedal behaves normally. I pulled the clutch cylinder and it appears to operate normally though the bleeder valve is clogged: I was unable to bleed the system. The shift linkage appears and feels normal. There is an intermittent scraping sound-- perhaps from the bell-housing.

Before I pull the tranny--what might be happening here to prevent the clutch from ever engaging? It acts just like it would if I had the clutch in--

Thanks for any advice or input!

Dr. Hagerty

February, 20, 2010 AT 11:15 PM

I advise you to go ahead and pull the tranny. It seems as if that is not avoidable in this scenario. The clutch hydraulics should be inspected/replaced at this time. Be sure to renew the pivot pin and the pilot bearing and clean the shaft where the throwout bearing glides, but no grease.

robbkramer

February, 22, 2010 AT 11:15 AM

Pulled it all and discovered the center splined hub had broken away from the clutch disc completely. My guess is that when I installed a rebuild tranny, I didn't align the shaft carefully and damaged the disc before I reached the pilot bearing. There were three cracks in the disc spokes. Caused enough chatter that the pilot bearing just fell out when I removed the clutch. Just never imagined that scenario but it makes perfect sense in retrospect.

So, new disc! Plus I'm replacing everything else in there as well-- bearings, seals, slave cylinder.

What a debacle!

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions