1987 BMW 325 no clutch!

ROBBKRAMER
  • 1987 BMW 325

1987 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150, 00 miles

While driving, the care lost all torque to the transmission while in gear. I did hear a "cloink!". With the engine idling, I can shift into any gear without using the clutch. While towing, I can feel that the transmission is engaged but getting no torque from the engine. The clutch pedal behaves normally. I pulled the clutch cylinder and it appears to operate normally though the bleeder valve is clogged: I was unable to bleed the system. The shift linkage appears and feels normal. There is an intermittent scraping sound-- perhaps from the bell-housing.

Before I pull the tranny--what might be happening here to prevent the clutch from ever engaging? It acts just like it would if I had the clutch in--

Thanks for any advice or input!

Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

DR. HAGERTY

I advise you to go ahead and pull the tranny. It seems as if that is not avoidable in this scenario. The clutch hydraulics should be inspected/replaced at this time. Be sure to renew the pivot pin and the pilot bearing and clean the shaft where the throwout bearing glides, but no grease.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
ROBBKRAMER

Pulled it all and discovered the center splined hub had broken away from the clutch disc completely. My guess is that when I installed a rebuild tranny, I didn't align the shaft carefully and damaged the disc before I reached the pilot bearing. There were three cracks in the disc spokes. Caused enough chatter that the pilot bearing just fell out when I removed the clutch. Just never imagined that scenario but it makes perfect sense in retrospect.

So, new disc! Plus I'm replacing everything else in there as well-- bearings, seals, slave cylinder.

What a debacle!

Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 11:15 AM