Battery light is on but seems to function properly

JOHN WILKINSON
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Started truck after work and barely turned over. Drove fine on the way home. Got home did not have enough charge to turn over. Jump started. Checked voltage while running. Was between 13-14 volts. Replaced battery. Everything worked great. One week later battery light comes on but everything is working fine. Tested alternator 13.70v same result under load with lights and A/C. I did test for A/C voltage and got 0.033. Your video said to test for that. Is that enough to need a replacement? I thought maybe that is what killed my last battery.
Monday, September 16th, 2019 AT 6:40 PM

KASEKENNY1
Hi,

I assume you are talking about the diode test when you got .033 volts AC at 1200 RPM?

If that is the case, then yes a diode has failed and you need to replace the alternator. This will cause your battery to fail and a new battery on a bad alternator would last about a week depending on the load and use.

The battery light simply means there is not sufficient voltage present so it is normally the battery or alternator so I think you have enough to feel confident that the alternator will fix this.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks
Tuesday, September 17th, 2019 AT 1:43 PM