86 F150 CRANKS NO SPARK NEW COIL

1986 All Other Makes All Other Models

fisheromacs

March, 28, 2006 AT 4:59 PM

1986 F150 L-6.

it cranks but doesnt fire.

I put on a new coil & new plugs, but still no spark at the plugs.

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

ed

peppermrj

March, 28, 2006 AT 6:50 PM

Have the igntion module tested.

fisheromacs

March, 29, 2006 AT 3:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Ignition module tested ok 7 times at the local Auto store. But still no spark coming out of the coil or the plugs. This leads me to believe the problem is somewhere in the primary system, but where specificly I am at a loss. It started and ran fine on Monday then Tuesday am squat.

I did continuity & volt checks using ohmmeter everywhere I could. Ignition switch seemed to be ok.

A related question, I began testing the ignition control harness wires? When testing them, the top tested at 0V, the next tested at 18V (can't recall color w/o going out to look), the next (i remember this one's color - white w/blue) tested at 18V, the rest tested at 0V.

Any ideas welcome. Short of TNT.

Ed

fisheromacs

March, 30, 2006 AT 9:14 PM

I did a bit more w/the ohmmeter tonight and still am utterly lost.

I put the + lead in the wires going to the coil and the - lead on ground and got power at both wires. I then pulled the cable going to the distributor and got power there also when I put the + lead in the cable (that was attached to the distr.)

I am at a loss at where to go from here. Short of a tow to a real mechanic's garage.

Help Please!

fisheromacs

April, 1, 2006 AT 5:42 PM

Update
-plugged directly into the coil and got 2 sparks today, but cranked it about 20 times. Both sparks came at the end of cranking, just before the engine stopped turning. No idea why, no sparks any other times, used 2 different plugs and 4 different cables. Hoping it was something stupidly simple that I was overlooking, but dunno!

dirtylittlemind

April, 6, 2006 AT 9:33 PM

I had the same problem and it turned out that the PIP in the distributor was bad. A trip to my local junkyard got a distributor and the truck fired right up. I have also seen on other forums that it is possible that you can have autozone or a local auto store as good but still be bad. I have a spec sheet for the ignition module if you want I could email it to you. If the module tests good and the EEC is good then it is probably pip

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz