AirBag light always on

VORLON
  • 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
Hello Guys and Gals,

I have a question I have an airbag light always on in the van.
I just had dealer replace clock spring on warranty hoping light would go out as that is normally the cause.
Horn works now that clock spring is replaced which is good.

But they could not reset the airbag light/code.
I asked for error and was told no.

I don't want to go buy a reader just to find error code.
disconnecting battery for over 12 hours also did not fix the issue.

Is there another simple item that could be causing the problem?

I will add as a side note that when horn quit working the airbag light would flicker for about 2 weeks before it turned on solid. It was just 2 weeks ago clock spring was replaced under warranty. But the light had been on solid for almost a full year.

Thanks in advance.
Vor
Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 12:20 PM

KASEKENNY1
This could be a number of things but depending on the law in your region, they cannot refuse to give you the info on your vehicle. Clearly they are doing it because they don't want you to take it elsewhere or do the work yourself but if the vehicle is under warranty and they have been paid to perform the work on your vehicle then they are required to provide that detail.

The reason we need the codes is because this issue could be a number of things. Did they not even provide an estimate to repair the light and what parts it needed?

I agree that buying a code reader in this case should not be needed. If you do, just make sure it can read airbag and ABS codes. Some cannot and you will need that to get these codes.
Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 12:48 PM
VORLON

Thanks for fast reply to my question.
Since the clock spring was done totally under warranty as in Canada Recalls never expire.
They said they would have to troubleshoot airbag issue and it would cost over $500.00 or higher. They said it's $175.00 and hour and would take several hours just to troubleshoot.

Then there would be extra cost for labor and parts to fix the issue if found.

I found some sites today giving suggestions to others with similar problems.
From what I read it seems each seat has a yellow connector as part of airbag system.
And it seems it gets pulled apart sometimes or get corroded.
Some say it could also be the seat belt sensor.

I am worried if I unplug cables to check for corrosion that the airbag(s) might go off.
I guess I could disconnect battery again and then check the connectors and for corrosion.

Thanks in advance.
Vor
Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 1:42 PM
KASEKENNY1
Oh. I am on the same page as you now. That is correct then.

Yes. Do not unhook anything on the airbag system with the battery still connected. You can check for corrosion in this connector and it is a good place to start but if you don't find anything then we will need to get codes.

Since you are in Canada you can call around to some local parts stores and see if their tools can pull these codes. If they can, then most of them will pull them free of charge just like they do here in the States.

Let me know if you get the code and we will be able to figure this out for sure.
Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 1:59 PM
VORLON
Hello Kasekenny1,

Thanks for letting me know.
In the mail today I got an old book for the van and its called "Body Diagnostic Procedures" though my knowledge sucks.
I did find another possible cause which is on the van it seems rear wiper and airbag circuits partially share the same fuse under the hood.

Found a cheap reader on Amazon so if I cant find a garage to read codes for cheap.

On weekend I will disconnect battery again and let it sit for 20 minutes and then check the connectors under seats. I will also pull the fuse and test it with a meter to confirm it all works correctly.

Thanks,
Vor
Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 2:06 PM
KASEKENNY1
I assume you are talking about fuse 6? If this what you are seeing and the airbag light is on then this would not be an issue. This fuse only feeds the actual indicator lamp for the airbag. You can see the fuse also feeds the rear wiper motor but since the light is on, the fuse is okay.

Unfortunately the code is going to be needed if that connector is okay. We are just going to be guessing at what the issue is and that can get very costly, timely, and frustrating.

I would try to track down a parts store that pulls codes because they will do it for free. Once we have the actual code we can figure out what the issue is or at least determine if it is something you want to try and tackle yourself.

Friday, March 20th, 2020 AT 2:19 PM

Sponsored links