TCS LIGHT AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS COME ON

1999 Acura TL

maaiig

August, 16, 2010 AT 11:21 AM

Computer problem
1999 Acura TL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

While driving the TCS light comes on followed by Check Engine light. After restarting TCS lights is off but Check
Engine stays on. Code is telling that EGR valve have a problem. When you reset a computer, sometimes you can drive for days and then it happened again in the same sequence: TCS first then Check Engine light.

I don't think it's brake related, becuase sometimes it happened when I am braking, but another time when I am just cruising with my foot off the gas pedal.

August, 16, 2010 AT 12:43 PM

Hi maaiig,

The TCS light can be turned on by and engine problem and in this case, it is the EGR causing misfiring.

You need to get the CEL problem checked and rectified first as engine trouble codes takes precedence over other codes.

What is the EXACT trouble code and have you done any repairs to it yet?

maaiig

August, 18, 2010 AT 12:41 PM

Yes, it is giving the EGR valve code. I cleaned the valve and replaced the gasket. The problem is still there.

August, 19, 2010 AT 8:54 AM

When EGR has a fault, it is not as simple as cleaning the valve and replacing the gasket. The port under the EGR has to be cleaned to clear the clogging due to carbon build up.

maaiig

August, 19, 2010 AT 11:10 AM

How can I clean the EGR valve port?

August, 19, 2010 AT 12:52 PM

There was a TSB on the problem and I have sent it to you with all the procedures. You are not going to like this.