WHITE SMOKE/OVERHEATING

1991 Acura Legend

tferg

February, 4, 2008 AT 9:12 PM

Engine problem
1991 Acura Legend 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

Recently bought a 91 Acura Legend. Got it home drove it the next morning, white smoke appers from exhaust while engine is at running temp. Excessive (more than a minute) idleing causes engine to overheat (sometimes but not always). The fans will come on and work, but the engine will not cool until going down the road. Changed thermostat, bled system, coolant is full. No coolant in oil and no noticable use of coolant. White smokes appears after starting and sitting for a while idleling. Any help appreciated. Maybe headgasket?

BMRFIXIT

February, 4, 2008 AT 9:39 PM

Check water pump operation
check radiator
no coolant lose
what about oil are you adding any
may be that explain the smoke

tferg

February, 5, 2008 AT 7:42 AM

[quote=" BMRFIXIT" ]

check water pump operation
check radiator
no coolant lose
what about oil are you adding any
may be that explain the smoke[/quote

Just changed the oil, after installing thermostat. I drove it 250 miles and it has not lost any. The smoke does not have a oil smell to it. Could the water pump work intermediately? I am going to flush system, change hoses, and bleed system. If it was a head-gasket problem would there definitely be coolant in the oil? Thanks for the response, a donation will be on it's way.

BMRFIXIT

February, 5, 2008 AT 7:01 PM

[quote=" tferg" ]

check water pump operation
check radiator
no coolant lose
what about oil are you adding any
may be that explain the smoke[/quote

Just changed the oil, after installing thermostat. I drove it 250 miles and it has not lost any. The smoke does not have a oil smell to it. Could the water pump work intermediately? I am going to flush system, change hoses, and bleed system. If it was a head-gasket problem would there definitely be coolant in the oil? Thanks for the response, a donation will be on it's way.[/Quote: 7ce76a63d0]

Coolant doesn t always mix with oil
if head gasket is bad.
For it to smoke something is burning and its not gas
check coolant
again head gasket test will help
if water pump blades corroded water pump will work but will not push the coolant throw the system when most needed

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla