1998 ACURA INTEGRA HORN

• marclaur
  • 1998 Acura Integra

1998 Acura Integra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

my horn stopped working. I have eliminated the steering wheel switches, relay, and fuse as the cause. I suspect either a bad connection at the horn or a bad ground at the horn or a bad horn. My problem is getting at the horn. My repair manual says to remove the bumper to service the horn. Is there an easier way to get at the horn? Also, Where is the horn? Right, left, center?

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 9:35 AM

• merlin2021

What you might want to do, if you are unfamliiar with air bag sensors, is leave the bumper and horn alone, and cut the horn wire and relocate a new horn anywhere you want.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_horn_2.jpg

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 1:33 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

To better assist you please tell me if your model is a GS, GS-R, LS, RS, or Type R. Also your engine size in liter

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 1:37 PM
  • marclaur

This is an LS three door coupe with a 1.8 liter B18B1 engine. I really wish I could find a way to get at the horn without taking the bumper off. I take it from the responses that it's not possible to do it any other way? I already considered cutting the wire and relocating the horn but I'd prefer to keep the car as close to stock as possible.

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 2:44 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

Well, the manual doesn't show how to R&R the horn. I had to go to the wiring diagram and it states it is located behind the right side of the front bumper and only shows one.

My thought - I would jack the car up and see what it looks like from the bottom.....many vehicles you can get to it that way.

Also - sometimes through the fender well. I would check both options. Then once you are at it or at least can possible get to the plug -I would shoot 12v to one side of the horn and ground the other pin. The blue/red wire is the hot. Comes right from the relay according to the diagram.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_54.jpg

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM
  • marclaur

I did notice the wiring diagram says it's behind right side of bumper so at least I now know where to find the horn and I think it may be possible to get at it by removing the passenger side inner fender or from the bottom. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 6:42 AM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

Glad to hear from you. Yes, please let us know if you can get to it this way. This will not only help the other customers/readers but I will find a place in our manuals to possible put a note for the next person.

Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM
  • marclaur

I was able to access the horn from the under side of the car. It was located behind the bumper on the passenger side of the car and I was able to remove the horn from the bottm. I had a bad ground and once I cleaned the connection the horn worked fine. After cleaning and reconnecting the ground I smeared a fim of grease over the connection to slow down its corroding again.

Wednesday, August 26th, 2009 AT 5:03 AM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

Fantastic........glad you got that going and thank you very much for sharing the fix so other readers can have that knowledge.

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Integra_Recalls_1.jpg

Wednesday, August 26th, 2009 AT 3:37 PM