Starter engages but will not turn engine over

BRIAN 87
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
This is a 350ci. Starter engages but will not turn flywheel. Started out when I got the truck the starter acted like it was going out. The common dragging. Going to replace soon. Drove it ten miles today shut it off ten minutes then tried to start it and it turned over three times then click. Thought well its out now. Put a used one on that I new worked. Came off my father in laws 1994 350 truck. Nothing happened. Even had new battery on it. Pulled to his house tested both starters with jump cables and battery both worked great. So I am thinking no power to starter. Ground wire (little red wire) looked like it got hot, it was very close to manifold. So I cut it and sliced with same Gauge wire. Now I got that one click back. But will not turn over. Pulled starter off and left wires connected and bumped key. It engaged like it should (tried both starters like this and both worked) so thought it was in a bind. We shimmed it and tightened bolts side to side evenly. Still one click like in a bind. Just could not figure it out. Pulled dust shield off of bell housing thought could be that still same thing. Check grounds and harness behind engine and found nothing. Now I found the ground strap from fire wall and back of block bolted together and from there bolted to frame. Looked rusted and rough going to look at that more in morning since I give up tonight. Checked fuses turned fly wheel with screw driver and turned alternator with breaker bar and engine turned over like it should and checked oil and coolant and all great. Oil only has one hundred miles on it. All I keep getting is one click please help bout to push truck in the river. Any help please.
Monday, May 29th, 2017 AT 9:02 PM

Chevrolet starters have to be shimmed a lot of times if it works on one vehicle but not another then you may need shims available at auto parts it can take one or two. See pictures. If starter makes a lot of noise after one shim it may need another. Lower fusible link runs off of battery in picture.
Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 AT 6:01 AM
BRIAN 87
Okay, tried to but still same. Acts like its not getting all power according to gauge in the truck.
Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 AT 8:09 AM
BRIAN 87
Starter will turn over fine if not bolted in place but when bolted in place it goes in but acts like not enough juice to turn over the engine and will not disengage from fly wheel.
+1
Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 AT 8:17 AM
This may need shims if there are not any. Has starter been tested at auto parts? It may be a bad starter or does engine turn over easy or at all?
Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 AT 9:24 AM
BRIAN 87
Well fixed the problem an truck starts better than ever with the starter that came off truck. It was not grounded good. Who ever put motor in truck had negative battery cable connected to air conditioning pump. Figured this because we took negative sides of jumper cables one to battery and one to frame and truck turned over. So we moved battery ground to cleaned frame and still turned over slow so we add a same gage wire to the same frame ground and from there to intake. Fired right up. Thanks for your help.
+1
Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 AT 5:45 PM
Glad it's fixed but do two more things, make sure there is a ground from engine to body, 10 gauge wire or the copper clad wire is good for this and one from battery to body as well as battery to ground point on frame. The engine one is important because if not connected it will melt the shift cable and truck will start in drive. As well as other grounds to make body stuff like switchs/lights work better. Normally on small blocks ground wire goes from back of cylinder head to firewall on pass side.
+1
Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 AT 6:23 AM