Check engine light on steady, not flashing

BROCK2012
  • 2010 FORD FUSION

Hi there, I bought a the listed above in great shape, regular maintenance taken care of 55,210 miles on it. I am due for an oil change, however the check engine light (yellow light shaped like an engine) is on steady (not blinking). Now that I drive the car I want to make sure I keep it up. The car is up for an oil change and the check engine light is now illuminated (steady, not flashing) coincidence or issue I should be concerned?

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 3:11 AM

Many things can cause the check engine light to come on. What to do is have the computer scanned to identify if there is a trouble codes stored in the computer. Most parts stores will do it for free. Then you will know what set the light.

If you have questions, ask the parts store to write down the code and tell me what it is. I can give you a better idea if there is a problem or not.

+2
Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 3:39 AM
BROCK2012

Thank you so much! I just found out it was due for a 54,000 mile checkup-and now that the oil is due (hit 0% life yesterday) that it may just be the default for service. I scheduled an appointment online at a Ford dealer. Since I need the oil change anyway, I will have them run diagnostics anyway. I will get any issue codes and post. Thanks for the quick response! You rock!

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 3:42 AM

Glad to help. And yes, the oil life will set the light to let you know it needs changed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

+6
Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 3:48 AM
BROCK2012

Hey Joe, so are you saying that the check engine light (which almost gave me a mild heart attack) would be triggered once an oil change and/or recommended service was required?

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 4:13 AM

Many of them are. Relax, if the car is still running good, I feel confident it is not anything to worry about.

+4
Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 4:19 AM
BROCK2012

Hey Joe, You were right nothing major. Had the oil changed, tires rotated and 54,000 maintenance done. The code came back that it was the EVAP control system leak and the tech believes it was the (gas cap cover). Since this is the Ford Fusion Flex Fuel hybrid it does not have a gas cap, it is a 'capless' tank. He reset it, and it did not come back on the drive home-he said if it does, take it to Ford for them to look at!

+2
Saturday, November 12th, 2011 AT 8:00 PM

That is good news. If anything needs repaired with the EVAP system, it is part of the emissions system and falls under that warranty. I believe it is a five year/50,000 warranty with 0 deductible. I realize you are slightly over that, but if you argue with them, they will cover it.

Good luck, and we will be here if you have questions.

+4
Sunday, November 13th, 2011 AT 1:48 AM
BROCK2012

Thanks Joe! I bought the extended warranty (the car was used when I got it) so I bought the three year bumper to bumper extended Ford coverage (just in case!) Thanks for the piece of mind though!

+1
Sunday, November 13th, 2011 AT 3:52 AM

You are welcome. Take care and let us know if you run into any trouble.

Sunday, November 13th, 2011 AT 5:25 AM
80SDUDE

I bought a 2010 in great shape in PA back in February with about 63,000 miles. I love it. Worked great. We moved here to San Antonio, TX early June, the "check fuel fill inlet" warning came on. I found out how to fix that. Cap-less fuel. Reset the OBD. That seemed to fix it. But now I have a check engine light. In the three months I had it in PA I did not have anything go wrong! I make a 1,600 mile trek and now I am having small issues. Still runs smooth, nothing rough. Love the car!

+1
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 10:41 AM