Can I get brake Master cylinder replacement instructions?

TCALLENDRILLO@USA.COM
  • 2010 FORD F-150
I need to replace my master cylinder it is leaking. Thanks
Monday, December 19th, 2011 AT 4:35 AM

Hi,

Replacing the brake master cylinder isn't too hard to complete. There are a few steps that must be followed such as bench bleeding the new brake master cylinder and bleeding the brakes.

To get started, here is a link that shows in general how a brake master cylinder is replaced. You can use this as a guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-brake-master-cylinder

Here is a video that shows how to bench bleed a new brake master cylinder:

https://youtu.be/WDxvEQrMkBg

If you look at the attached pics below, they are the directions specific to your vehicle. The pics correlate with the directions.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care,

-1
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021 AT 8:26 PM
JAMILBRODT
  • 2008 FORD F-150
Fitting at master cylinder is stuck Thank you for your time.
Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 AT 12:21 PM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. Here are a few tutorials for you to view on how to replace a brake master cylinder and how to bleed the system after the repair has been made:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

Since you are installing a new brake master cylinder it would be best to bench bleed the unit before installation to remove air from the new unit prior to installation on the vehicle. Here is a YouTube tutorial from our site showing how to do so:

https://youtu.be/WDxvEQrMkBg

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the brake master cylinder and how to bleed the brakes on your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2007 FORD F-150
I recently had my brake pads changed now the brake pedal has a very "soft" feel and has to be depressed quite a ways to stop. I can actually continue to press the pedal nearly all the way to the floor. The place where I had the truck replaced thinks the brakes are fine but I am concerned what would happen if I had to stop quickly.
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

This sounds like air in the system and needs to be addressed immediately. The pedal should not be soft. It should be high and hard and able to stop the truck safely.

Yes, it could be the master cylinder but I would have another shop check it. For a shop to tell yo you a soft pedal is acceptable, that is wrong on so many levels.

I also attached below the procedure for bleeding the ABS unit. If air gets in there, it will give you a soft pedal.

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Using a suitable suction device, drain the brake fluid reservoir.
3. Disconnect the brake fluid level switch electrical connector.

4. NOTE: Cap the brake tubes and plug the master cylinder ports.

Disconnect the 2 brake tubes from the master cylinder.
To install, tighten to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).

5. Remove the 2 master cylinder nuts.
To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Bleed the brake system.

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Hydraulic Control Unit Bleeding

NOTE: This procedure is only required when a new hydraulic control unit (HCU) is installed.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or new installation, air may get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be gravity bled, manually bled or bled with pressure bleeding equipment.

1. Connect the scan tool and follow the ABS system bleed instructions.
2. Use the gravity bleed or manual bleed procedure(s) to bleed the system. Begin at the RH rear caliper.
ALLEN FITTS
  • 2001 FORD F-150
I changed out my brake pads, bled the brake lines, and my brake pedal is still going to the floor. I have checked fluid levels, and are all full. I have no leaks at any given point.
KASEKENNY1
At this point the issue is most likely the master cylinder leaking internally.
Also it could a brake line issue that is swelling when you press the pedal. However, this will normally cause a soft pedal and not going to the floor. So I would think the master cylinder is leaking internally. Here are the master cylinder installation instruction you have requested. Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car.

https://youtu.be/WDxvEQrMkBg

and

https://youtu.be/w7gUsj2us0U

and

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

If you take the lines off and cap the outlets of the master cylinder then press the pedal if it still goes to the floor then you know if it is leaking internally because you have eliminated the rest of the braking system.

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks
SEMAJ38
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Recently had complete front suspension overhaul, and new brake pads installed.
Problem: When I got the truck back, I noticed the brakes pulling to the right. I asked the mechanic about it and was told that the pads were new and would wear in in a few miles. Drove over 2,000 miles and still have severe pull to right. Checked the internet and pulled the right front wheel and found the pads perfectly new, had my friend step on the brake pedal and no movement of the caliper, rotor spins free with brakes applied. Had my friend apply the brakes and opened the bleeder valve. No fluid came out. Next I disconnected the steel line at the flexible hose fitting and applied brake pedal pressure no fluid at that connection either. Checked the steel lines back to the ABS, all good, no distortion or damage. Reinstalled the steel line to the flex hose fitting. Next, followed a suggestion on the internet and applied compressed air to the bleeder fitting hole and got air all the way back to the master cylinder. Put everything back together checked the fluid in the master cylinder and refilled the line with new brake fluid using a pump oil can and hose. Attempted to bleed again, with the engine off and with the engine running, no fluid at the bleeder. Note: when I applied air pressure to the bleeder hole the caliper expanded and locked the rotor and released when the air pressure stopped. Also, the other three wheel brakes are working normally. What should I check next?
ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon.

It sounds like the master cylinder is not producing pressure for the brakes.
the fact you blew back into the master is the key. It sounds like the master cylinder is the issue.

New brake pads will never cause a pull. brakes should always stop straight if the system is working correctly.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-pulls-right-or-left-when-driving-or-braking

+1
SEMAJ38
Roy, thanks for the prompt reply. One other bit of information, the left front brake is working properly. Is it possible that the master cylinder is operating correctly for one front wheel and not the other? Jim
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, it is a split-diagonal system. The left front and right rear work together and the right front and left rear work together.

+1
SEMAJ38
Okay. Thanks for your help.
Jim
FLAT
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I put new brakes on bled them off and I still get no pedal. It goes all way to the floor when I press it.
ASEMASTER6371
You are welcome.
+1
Welcome to 2CarPros.

It sounds like a bad master cylinder. Have you checked that? If there are no leaks, that's my first suspect. take a look through this link.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Here are directions in general for master cylinder replacement:

__________________________

Here are the directions for replacement specific to your vehicle. The attached pictures correlate with the directions.

_________________________

Removal and Installation
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Hydraulic System Brake Master Cylinder Service and Repair Procedures Master Cylinder, Brakes Removal and Installation
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL
WARNING: BRAKE FLUID CONTAINS POLYGLYCOL ETHERS AND POLYGLYCOLS. AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES. WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING. IF BRAKE FLUID CONTACTS EYES, FLUSH EYES WITH RUNNING WATER FOR 15 MINUTES. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IF IRRITATION PERSISTS. IF TAKEN INTERNALLY, DRINK WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

pic 1

1. Disconnect the brake fluid level warning switch.

pic 2

2. If equipped with speed control, disconnect the brake pressure switch electrical connector.

pic 3

3. Disconnect the two brake lines and plug the lines and the brake master cylinder ports.
4. On vehicles equipped with the rear anti-lock brake system (RABS), remove the RABS valve.

pic 4

5. Remove the brake master cylinder
1 Remove the two brake master cylinder nuts
2 Remove the brake master cylinder

INSTALLATION

pic 5

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse orders
- Bleed the brake system.

______________________________________________

Let me know if this helps.

Take care,
CMINNICH
  • 1990 FORD F-150
I have recently replaced both front calipers, master cylinder, and brake booster. I have bled all the brakes and I'm still losing brakes. I can pump the pedal and get brakes but after a few seconds the pedal goes to the floor again. I'm beyond stumped. Can anyone help please.
Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.

Here are the directions specific to bleeding the system on your truck. Follow them and see if it makes a difference. It includes bleeding the rear ABS valve.

Before bleeding, review the second set of directions to confirm you have the push rod properly adjusted. Pictures 1 and 2 correlate with this.

____________________________________

MANUAL BLEEDING
NOTE: Bleed primary and secondary hydraulic brake systems separately, bleeding longest line first on each system. Do not allow reservoir to run dry during bleeding operation. Never reuse fluid that has been drained from hydraulic system.

1. Loosen master cylinder to hydraulic line nuts and wrap shop cloths around tubing below fitting to absorb escaping brake fluid.

2. Depress brake pedal slowly forcing air trapped in master cylinder out at fitting.

3. Hold pedal down and tighten fittings, then release brake pedal.

NOTE: Releasing brake pedal before fittings are tightened will allow air to enter the master cylinder.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 until air ceases to escape at fittings and brake pedal is firm.

5. Bleed brakes as follows:

RR, LR, ABS valve, RF, LF

a. Pump pedal several times, then hold pedal down firmly.

B. With pedal firmly depressed, open bleeder screw on one rear brake until pedal fades, then close bleeder valve.

C. Repeat procedure until a continuous flow of brake fluid is released from bleeder valve.

D. Repeat steps 5a through 5c on other rear brake.

6. Bleed the Rear Antilock Brake System (RABS) valve.

7. Bleed the front brakes using same procedure as for rear brakes.

8. Check brake operation and ensure pedal is firm, road test vehicle.

______________________________________

INSTALLATION
Bendix Booster Push Rod Gauge Dimensions and Adjustment

1. Before installing the master cylinder, check the distance from the outer end of the booster assembly push rod, to the front face of the brake booster assembly. Turn the push rod adjusting screw in or out as required to obtain the specified length.

2. Position the master cylinder assembly over the booster push rod and onto the two studs on the booster assembly. Install the attaching nuts and tighten to 24-34 Nm (18-25 ft lbs).
3. Connect the hydraulic brake system lines to the master cylinder.
4. Connect fluid level indicator switch.
5. Bleed the master cylinder. Fill the reservoir of the master cylinder with heavy duty DOT 3 brake fluid to the fluid fill line. Install gasket and bleed the system. Refer to Brake Bleeding.

______________________

Once you do that, let me know what happens. If there are no leaks, the rubber brake hoses aren't expanding, the push rod is properly adjusted, and the rear brakes are properly adjusted, I have a feeling you got a bad master cylinder.

Let me know if this helps.

Sponsored links