Transfer case grinding noise

DUSTY2322
  • 2010 FORD F-150
Metal grinding noise only when I accelurate in two wheel drive, no noise when I use four wheel drive. Once I get up to speed on level ground noise will stop. Noise seems to be coming from left front axel area.
Saturday, June 15th, 2013 AT 8:52 AM

It sounds like like the transfer case is having an issue, I would remove the drain plug to the fluid to see if there is metal in the case. If so it will need to be rebuilt here are diagrams to help you get the job done. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Saturday, June 15th, 2013 AT 11:41 AM
BOOPERIII
Thanks for this post I had this problem and had to get a rebuilt transfer case cost me $1300.00
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 1:12 PM
VICTORMCCOY
  • 2004 FORD F-150
The four wheel drive in my truck has not been engaged for some time and now its hard to get into fourwheel drive and when you do it grinds when you drive down the road. What do I check and how?
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 1:13 PM (Merged)
Can you tell where the sound is coming from? Is it under the truck or in the front?
-1
VICTORMCCOY
The grinding comes from under the truck
-1
Chances are it is coming from the transfer case. If I had to guess, I would say the actuator is going bad and not fully shifting. Remove it and check it for function.
+1
CARL EASTEP
  • 2006 FORD F-150
Louder under immediate pressure. Quieter and maybe a few times if I engage early before under pressure. Also, how fast can I be going to engage four wheel drive and how fast can you drive in four wheel drive?
Monday, April 12th, 2021 AT 12:17 PM (Merged)
KEN
This can be normal because the transfer case does make noise when operating. Also it could be a bad U joint in the front driveline. Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can hear the noise? That would be great. You can upload it here with your response.

Sponsored links