Heater issues

KEN DALY
  • 2010 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
Heater was blowing hot air yesterday, we went out last night and the heater was blowing cold air, temperature guage was at about 180 degrees but no heat. Played with the control to raise and lower temperature but it didn't make any difference. What should I look for?
Sunday, February 9th, 2014 AT 8:18 AM

SATURNTECH9

This sounds like you have a temperature blend door actuator what is out and needs t be replaced. This guide will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Also check the engine coolant level as well becasue if it is low the heater is the first thing to stop working.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

Here is how it will be on your car (below) which show the blend door actuators locations.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+4
Sunday, February 9th, 2014 AT 8:21 AM
KEN DALY
I have it warming up, there is so much plastic covering the motor it's hard to see anything, where are the hoses located? Not noticeable, the top hose is warmer but not too hot
-1
Sunday, February 9th, 2014 AT 8:40 AM
KEN DALY
I did some more checking you were correct with the "Air Temperature Door Actuator" which I replaced now the heater works great again! Ya! It was a little tough but I hung in there and got the job done. Thanks 2Carpros :)
+2
Sunday, February 9th, 2014 AT 8:55 AM
SATURNTECH9
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
+4
Sunday, February 9th, 2014 AT 1:33 PM
LORI1970
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
When my car is sitting still running (stop light ) my temp gauge is going up and the heater starts blowing cold air. When I start driving again the temp gauge goes down and the heater starts blowing warm air again.
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 AT 3:09 PM (Merged)
LEGITIMATE007
First make sure your coolant is full to where it needs to be, you also may need you water pump replaced, but before doing so, check the drive belt, it could be slipping thus not giving the necessary rpms to get the coolant circulating. Here is a guide that will help as well.

Please run down this guide and report back.
+2
LORI1970
I have checked the coolant and changed the thermostat, still doing the same thing. I check out the guide you have and I endded up jacking the back of the car way up high like it suggested, the coolant level went down and the problem is solved thanks for the guide.
JEFF 4
I had similar problem with 2006 equinox temp goes up and down blow hot and cold never overheated got kinda high as far as adding coolant don't go by what the owners manual says for adding cause it doesn't always work I got coolant to the correct level and stays were it's suppose to and blows warm when the heater is used all the time.
M_H_RITZEL
Check the hoses going to the heater, one should be hot and the other warm. If ne is warm and trhe other cold the heater core may be clogged, and need to be back flushed.
BROOKSC32116
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
About a month ago my Equinox started to over heat while sitting idle for more than a few minutes and I would get heat off and on. I took it to a Chevy dealer and they did a coolant flush, and said that I had stop leak in the system also. Drove it home still no heat and it started to over heat because the hose from my reservoir was knocked loose! Fixed that thinking it was the problem but nope. It was then overheating while driving it and no heat! Replaced the thermostat, bled the system. Same thing over heating and no heat. Replaced the radiator bled the system. Ran the car for about 45 minutes and one minute the thermostat needle was at the half way mark and then it just jumped to 3/4 mark. We turned the car off and now have no clue what to replace next.
WRENCHTECH
At this point you could have internal damage such as a blown head gasket due to previous overheating or you may just not be getting all the air out.
BRYAN283
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
Heater problem
2006 Chevy Equinox

ok, iam mechanicaly inclined but on diesels. The problem is no heat inside of car. I am up to the heater core and it is hot to touch. Still not heat. My daughter looked it up and supposedly its a valve type flapper that has been breaking. Where is it located. And how do I get to it
ROBAUTO
If both heater hoses are hot, then it probably is the door, it is a big job, instructions with photos are on some other web sites. If both hoses are not hot, then it is something else- low coolant, bad thermostat, air in line or water pump, but if your temp gauge is normal and not having temp problems it is not one of these others
SHAMROCKER
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
  • 200 MILES
Have had the thermastat changer the other froze open. Still no heat, defrost I live on limit income. Its getting cold and need this working can you help tell me whats wrong?

.
WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If they are both hot, the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
+1
KRISPY0966
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
My 2006 Equinox stopped running and would not restart. I checked the oil, and it was out of oil. The oil light came on for a few minutes while driving, but then went out. The engine did not get hot. No smoke came out of the engine.
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 AT 3:10 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
The oil pressure light is an emergency warning that means "shut the engine off immediately".
If you actually drove it any number of miles with no oil you will be looking for a new motor but having it professionally diagnosed is the right thing to do.
-1
KRISPY0966
Thanks. Its at a garage right now that I have never worked with, so I'm nervous because I am afraid they may tell me I need a new engine when I don't. My father suggested that I go to down to the garage and put 2 quarts of oil in it and see if it starts because the Equinox has a fuel cut off switch that could have cut the fuel to save the engine. I have searched the manual and the Internet and I do not see that the 2006 has that feature. I'm afraid if I add the oil and try to start it, I may make the problem worse, if oil or antifreeze gets somewhere it shouldn't be.
CHEROKEE82
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
When im driving the engine and the heater will run fine for awhile then the heater will start to blow cold air and the engine temp will increase rapidly until it is red-lined. I have to pull over and turn the engine off. I can hear the fan running but it doesn't seem to be helping, but after a minute I can start the engine and the engine will start to cool down and the heater blows heat again. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
I think you have a 3.4L engine. The most likely suspect is a leaking cylinder head gasket. That can allow combustion gases to sneak into the cooling system. If it pools under the thermostat, it can fail to open resulting in no coolant flow. That means no hot coolant giving up its heat at the radiator and no hot coolant to the heater core in the dash. Thermostats need to be hit with hot liquid to open. Hot air won't do it.

Your mechanic can do a quick, five-minute chemical test at the radiator to test for one form of a leaking head gasket. That involves drawing air from the radiator or reservoir through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow.
+2