Battery Light ON

MIKE BAILEY2
  • 2009 JEEP LIBERTY
Of all I have searched the forums and read for hours and could not find the answers I needed so,

My sister's vehicle "jet" died today. When I got there it had no battery power, the alternator was very hot, and she said she smelled something burning before it lost power.

I took the battery to Sears at the mall where she was and battery tested bad, so since it was under warranty from a replacement at Advanced Auto two years ago but and it had a three year the replacement warranty I got a free new Battery from Advanced after having to him confirm it was bad.

After putting in battery and starting it I noticed the alternator had a whining sound and was still very hot, and dialectic grease was oozing from the crimp connector at the back of the alternator so we drove it down the street to AutoZone and found the alternator was only putting out 10 (ten) volts so we bought a new one.

I installed the new alternator and the battery light was still on. I had them check it and they said the voltage regulator failed, so thinking the voltage regulator was in the back of the alternator I took it off, went to another AutoZone since I bought the last one in stock, had them test it and it FAILED the test (brand new) so I got a new one.

I installed the newer Alternator, and the battery light was still on. I had them check the charging system and they showed 12.8 off, and 13.8 running with a pulse of ten something which is all good but voltage regulator failed.

I had him check the battery charge percentage and their equipment said 54%. So I let it run for five minutes and had him check it again and it was up to 95% so I got it home where I rechecked everything after driving it in rain with lights and air conditioner and phone charging with the radio on.

When I checked it the battery showed 100% charge, 12.8 off and 13.9 on and it would jump to 14.0 momentarily if I turned on lights or accessories.

After messing with the ground under battery tray I started it and no light so I cleaned the ground real good, put it back together and the light came back on after a few seconds. I had to remove the battery tray be to get to it and the fuse box under the hood so I inspected and wiggled every wire and connector and checked all fuses related to power and found no problems

Still at same readings - 12.8 off. 13.9 on 100% charged.

When the old Alternator got hot the wires coming from it were hot and sticky. So I have checked those wires and none seem shorted out or damaged.

After putting in battery initially the starter was acting strange and was kicking in and out several times trying to turn engine, but once it started up it never did it again so I was suspicious of the big red power wire to starter but it all looks good. I just figured since the wires had got hot maybe I be of the crimp connectors melted loose but no problem found.

When I removed the old alternator it was scorching hot after sitting an hour and I have burned up hands to prove it.

Obviously something is wrong, but I do not suspect the PCM/ECM because it is regulating the power properly and it is charging the battery etc.

I am looking for a burnt wire or bad ground and do not know where to start. I suspect the two small wires off the back of alternator (green and white with stripe. I read somewhere that one of those wires goes to the ignition switch and my sister did say she smelled burning in the car and it died as she was trying to get it off the road and out of traffic.

Today I checked battery and it was at 13.0 and went to 14.3 when running but light still on.

So without assuming that a capacitor in the PCM is fried where should I be looking for an issue?

(It does not have a battery temperature sensor OR any codes in PCM whatsoever)

Please help she is visiting from Washington DC with three kids and no money.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 AT 10:25 AM

MIKE BAILEY2
Today I had alternator tested off the Jeep on bench and it passed as a good,

Then I reinstalled alternator checked it myself and showed 13.0 off, dropped to 11.4 when starter engaged and the 13.8-14.2 with it running.

I took it to AutoZone, Advanced Auto, and O' Reillys and it checked out good:

12.9-13.0 volts at battery when off.
13.8-14.0 volts when running.
350 amp load test to starter was good.
Pulse ripple between 8 and 11.

Everything was perfect but the battery light is on.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 AT 2:11 PM
MIKE BAILEY2
I also load tested the system by putting on lights, air conditioner on high, turn signals, radio, and a phone charger.

The voltage dropped to 12.8, but as soon as you gave it some rooms it went up to 14.0 and settled at 13.8 until letting of gas, then it slowly went back down. As I turned off one thing at a time the voltage increased until it was at 13.8 again with everything off but engine.

Is it possible to retrieve a battery "code" without a high end scanner to see what the light is on for?
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 AT 2:34 PM
MIKE BAILEY2
I just drove it fifty miles with no issues. Stopped several times it restarted every time voltage is perfect battery is great great butt the light on the dash.

In all my reading about this Jeep I read somewhere that the car might need to go through forty Cycles to clear the battery code because it's not like an old-school battery lights that comes on when it is not charging. It could be a error code for a fault from the PCM is that possible?
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 AT 11:48 PM
If the fusible link is good between battery and alternator then have a mechanic scan for codes as it may be a can bus problem.
+1
Sunday, July 24th, 2016 AT 8:44 AM
MIKE BAILEY2
Thank you for the I put I'll check it out. I have been an ASE MasterTech since 1985 but I do not have a high end scanner to talk to the PCM. It will probably go to the Jeep Dealer tomorrow if I can't get the light off or find a real problem
Sunday, July 24th, 2016 AT 12:06 PM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
+1
Monday, July 25th, 2016 AT 9:51 AM
MIKE BAILEY2
Well I tried the key on off thing disconnected the battery several times for hours on end. I checked all the wiring that I could come the alternator in a fuse box to the PCM using a volt ohm meter and had it looked at it one more time and all was good

I took it to the Jeep dealership Monday afternoon nursing happened was they confirmed that the battery life is actually a malfunction indicator lamp for the battery charging system in the system had over 60 codes in it for low-voltage

After I told him all I've been through with things all the tests I've run they offered to clear the codes for free but two codes kept coming back. One was for GPS and navigation but the cheapest even equipped with that comma and the other one was P0622 witches for a short in the field coil wiring. So I authorize an u hour checkout time.

There was a window in the waiting room to the service department garage and I watch them perform all kinds of tests, by the end of the hour there were 3 technicians trying to figure it out. When they were true they had no clue what was wrong,

Afterwards I talked to the shops master technician who said they could possibly need a PCM which he could not guarantee would fix it or the alternator I put in with the diodes in the back might have been putting off a frequency that was confusing the PCM so he recommended me returning the alternator that was on it and getting another one and seeing if that would fix the problem,

so basically it cost me $150 to verify that all my testing was done correctly and that there was no problem with the charging system the wiring or the operation of the PCM,

I asked if the problem could be related to the tpim module and he was pretty adamant if that was not the issue even though Chrysler Jeep has many pending class action lawsuits for that module causing charging system failure,

So I took off the alternator and returned it after having it tested and we tested a new one off the shelf and I installed that one but the battery light came right back on.

So assuming if there was no problem we drove the Jeep over a hundred miles from the Westside of Florida to Daytona where I live and there was never a problem. As of now the Jeep is on its way back to the Washington DC area a 10-hour trip with the battery light on

The next step is to sell the Jeep and buy something not made by Chrysler
Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 3:31 PM
KEN
So is the system charging?

Tested with a voltmeter?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

Please let me know

Best, Ken

Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 4:14 PM
MIKE BAILEY2
So far so good. It is in Virginia, it made it from Tampa to Daytona, and then it left me and went North I just called my sister she just crossed the Virginia Line with the lights AC stereo and 3 please phones plugged in so YES it is charging it has been on the road for 12 hours today and will be 14 hours blasting AC with NO ISSUES except the light is ON
Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 8:42 PM
MIKE BAILEY2
I wish I could edit my posts because my phone types it's own words sometimes and my sentences make NO sense (LoL)
Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 8:45 PM
KEN
No biggy, our editor will catch it, glad to hear things are going well.
Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 9:19 PM