ABS light is on?

PAPET
  • 2009 DODGE CARAVAN
My 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan are having the ABS light, traction control light and EPS /BAS. Light are on and off. Is it safe to drive even those lights are on? Thanks a lot.
Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM

2CEXPT
This video will show you how to read the codes.

https://youtu.be/Pb6nXV-iamI

and

https://youtu.be/rTtAnsOlZU4

Please run down these guides and report back.
+1
Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 9:06 PM
DJCL
If the lights are on the abs trac systems are disabled. Its safe to drive but your abs and trac system will not be working
+8
Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 9:12 PM
RALPG1974
  • 2008 DODGE CARAVAN
My ABS, BRAKE ESP/BAS indicator lights all came on at once
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 5:21 PM (Merged)
You need to have the computer needs to be scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Most parts stores will do it for free.

Let mek now what you find.
B9R
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
Brakes problem
2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

the abs light stays on and the brake light comes on and off. The brakes are all fine. What could be causing this
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 5:22 PM (Merged)
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model just the Caravan, or the C/V, SE or the SXT. Also please tell me your engine size in liter.

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Next, please check the level of our brake fluid and fill to the proper level if needed and let me know if you needed fluid.
+1
TIGGI915
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
Brakes problem
2005 Dodge Caravan Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 45,000 miles

The ABS light came on in our van about a few months ago and hasnt gone away. We haven't had any issues with the brakes. But I would like to get the problem taken care of. I called the dealership to see how much it would cost to fix and they want $100.00 just to see what the problem is. Well, we don't have 100.00 to toss out there, unless its to fix the problem. Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything we can do to fix it, instead of taking it in somewhere. My husband would really like to fix it himself if he can.
BMRFIXIT
With out the scanner you cant go far
check local repair shop for help and get some estimates
once you have the code s you can change repair the problem
all he can do for know with out the scanner or codes is
check brake fluid check wires at the tire sensors check fuses
good luck
if you get the codes you may post them for more help
good luck
TIGGI915
Thanks! I'll pass this info on to my husband =)
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan. The ABS light came on a 3 weeks ago and the car was running fine until this monrning when the Engine light came on and the car was hassitient in going after a stop. I did the on & Off of the Key and it showed the code of P0344.

Would the two problems be the same or are they different problems?

What would be the Fix for these problems?

P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

On older models the engine would stall if the signal was lost from the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor. On newer models the engine will stay running if one of the signals is lost once it's running but it will not start if either one is missing at that time. The most likely suspect is the camshaft position sensor but first you have to eliminate all the other possibilities like stretched or corroded connector terminals, cut wires, and corroded splices.

For the ABS problem you need to have those diagnostic fault codes read to know which circuit or system needs further diagnosis. You should also understand that the computer compares many things to each other to detect problems. When a problem is detected that circuit can no longer be trusted as a reference for other circuits so additional codes will not be set until the first problem is fixed. That's not real common on Chrysler products but it is REAL common on GM vehicles and is frustrating for owners and mechanics, especially when the first problem is ignored for a long time. That gives the second problem more time to occur. GM has a huge problem with front wheel bearings causing wheels speed signal dropouts. If that is addressed within a few days a new bearing will be all that's needed. If it is ignored for a few weeks it is likely the second bearing will develop a problem too but no related fault code will be set because the computer knows it doesn't have a reliable signal from the first sensor for comparison. All the mechanic knows is one sensor is causing a problem because there's only one fault code in memory, and that's what he bases his repair cost estimate on. It's not until after the owner agrees to the repair and the mechanic performs a test-drive that the computer can resume its tests and the second problem is detected and the fault code shows up. The yellow ABS light turns on again. The mechanic is frustrated because he has to start the diagnosis all over again and he has to tell the owner more parts and services are needed than what was expected. The owner is frustrated because he is sure the mechanic didn't diagnose it properly the first time. Part of the frustration is the result of how the systems operate and how they detect problems for you, and part of the problem is caused by the owner ignoring the warning light for too long.
RLY423
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
My ABS light came on while driving down the road any sugestions on what the problem might be and how to correct it. Thanks
Hi:
Chances are there is a problem with a sensor. Take the van to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan it for codes. Most will do it for free, and it will help narrow down the problem.

Let me know what you find.
BWATSON19
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
The ABS light has come on. I hooked a Nemysis scanner to it to pull the codes and none were stored. I reset the light and as soon as I get over 10MPH it comes back on. I have been a Automobile Technician in the USAF for 15 years and never have run into this problem. I am looking into replacing the ABS unit but its a bunch of money wasted if its not bad.
BMRFIXIT
Check ABS unit connector for water or moisture
Suspect a wheel speed sensor 1st
get ABS data reading watch each wheel speed as you driving they all should be the same
when light is on you should be able to get the ABS code

good luck

*****************************************
need manual CHECK IT @
https://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm
ADIRONDACKER66
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
The abs light came on in our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The shop said it was the abs pump motor and needs replaced. Another mechanic scanned it and said it didn't show up. When called about the part he was told that the wasn't a motor, but, an actuator. I would like to know which part is there, if not both, and which is more likely the problem. Also, it seems very hard to find those parts when searching online.
These typically are not do-it-yourself parts and may have to come directly from the dealer. In a few years they will show up in the aftermarket world. The dealer is the best equipped place to service this problem, and not necessarily the most expensive. They have the factory training and know what to look for without wasting a lot of your money on diagnostic time.

ADIRONDACKER66
>>>caradiodoc Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Caradiodoc <<<

I am not looking to do it myself. I just want to know which is correct. The abs pump motor or the abs actuator?
I assumed you were trying to fix this yourself based on the type of questions you were asking and the type of web site you posted to. You don't have to be concerned about which part will fix the problem. That's up to the mechanic to properly diagnose the vehicle. If diagnosed incorrectly, a reputable mechanic will remove unneeded parts and not charge you for them. They will only charge you for the parts needed to solve the problem and possible other parts that will enhance the reliability of the repair.

"Also, it seems very hard to find those parts when searching online."

This is the comment that suggested you wanted to fix it yourself. I suspect you're not finding these parts online for the simple reason they aren't typically customer-replaceable parts. Repair shops generally don't buy parts online so the internet-based sellers would have very little market for parts like these. They're more interested in common consumer-replaceable items that have a larger demand.

The dealership has test equipment designed for their specific vehicles that should help them determine very quickly which part is defective. There is a pressure gauge that can be inserted in the line between the pump and hydraulic controller. A valve is closed, then you watch the pressure gauge. If pressure rises to 2200 psi or higher, the pump is capable of building pressure. If the pressure drops off when the valve is opened, there is leakage in the hydraulic assembly. If pressure can not be built up high enough, it's not necessarily the pump. It could be a plugged filter or a defective high pressure cutout switch.

I haven't replaced many ABS hydraulic parts so I don't know what the reliability of them is. GM trucks are famous for shorted computer modules that cause the pump to run continuously and burn out, but I haven't heard of that on Chrysler or products.

LOGI98
  • 2004 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a Grand Caravan hi-top conversion. My ABS lamp came on a few months back and the brakes would grab, rattle loud and almost not work. Looked at brake shoes and found them to be worn out. Replaced front pads and ABS lamp stayed off for about 2 months.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/362011_2004_Dodge_Grand_Caravan_jpeg_1.jpg

ABS light is back on and the left front brake has locked up for the 3rd time now. Smoking hot !! After letting brakes to cool down for about 30 minutes they work ok. I have noticed that the lock-up occurs after making a few stops (red lights, ect.)
I have all 4 new Michelin tires.
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 5:23 PM (Merged)

Sponsored links