Dome light replacement

BETSY SAND
  • 2007 TOYOTA RAV4

I have a 2007 RAV 4. While changing light bulb in main dome light assembly, the light bulb fell into the ceiling. How do I remove the light assembly to access the lose bulb which is now rattling?

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 12:53 AM

RAV4

I had the same problem with a 2008 RAV4. What a stupid design. I couldn't fish it out with a wire, so I banged on the roof/dome light assembly with my fist until the bulb socket fell down near the edge of headliner where I could wiggle my fingers in and grab it. Then I ran a wire up through the opening where the socket was and sideways/forward until it came out over visor. I attached the socket to the wire and was able to pull/jiggle it back up into position. Note: running the wire through the hole and forward toward the rear view mirror didn't work since there's not enough clearance to pull back in the socket assembly that way. Hope I don't make this mistake again!

-1
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 1:59 AM
FNBARR

Thanks so much! Have a 2008 Rav and same problem when changing the bulb and your directions actually worked for me. I am a 64 year old female and was surprised that I was able to get the light back. Thanks again.

-1
Sunday, June 29th, 2014 AT 2:08 PM
2CARPROS KEN

The whole front dome light is held in by 4 plastic inserts. Take a large screw driver and pry down firmly. Usually the dome light will separate from the the head liner. Then just reach in there and get the socket for the bulb. Insert it back where it goes and twist it. Some of the white plastic inserts will still be in the roof. Take them out and insert them back into the dome light frame. Then put the whole dome light back lined up with the holes and push it in. The plastic over the bulb comes out by using a screw driver in the middle. Insert new bulb, but don't turn the socket or it will fall in again. Replace covers over bulb. The tabs on the outside go in first and then press in the other side.

Here are some diagrams below

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

+1
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 AT 7:25 PM