Here is a guide to help you see if the shift interlock solenoid is working:
1. Verify that the key can only be removed in the PARK position
2. When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from ACC to LOCK. When the shifter is in any other gear or neutral position, the ignition key cylinder should not rotate to the LOCK position.
3. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the ACC position and the brake pedal is not depressed.
4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force on the shift lever and ignition key cylinder is in the ACC, ON, or START positions unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12 mm).
5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position, regardless of the brake pedal position.
6. Shifting between any gears, NEUTRAL or into PARK may be done without depressing foot brake pedal with ignition switch in ACC, ON, or START positions.
The diagnostic chart is below. Please let us know what happens.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 12:41 AM