SHIFTER IS STUCK IN PARK

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Michy62069

December, 31, 2011 AT 2:33 AM

Hi guys. I have a 2007 Chevy cobalt that won't shift. It is a automatic and a 4 cylinder. The linkage in stuck in neutral while the shifter is stuck in park. The car will not start and I don't know what to do. Please be specific because I am a girl and have no experience with cars.

I have done nothing to this so waiting for reply.

Great site btw : -)

December, 31, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

Disconnect the gear linkage and try moving it from the gear selector at the transmission

rivermikerat

December, 31, 2011 AT 3:31 AM

Check to see if the linkage is binding or bent.

Michy62069

December, 31, 2011 AT 6:02 AM

Ok I took the center counsil out and discovered it had a saftey that allowed you to move the gear shifter. I then pulled the cable and it came all the way out. I know it isn't suppose to do this and now I have a challenge of putting a new cable in. Now I have no idea how to do this but am glad you guys can help. I can get the car to shift using the linkage and don't see that it is bent. I just don't understand how the cable broke. The cable isn't that expensive but is there anything else I need to replace while I'm in there as a precaution? I don't want to get the cable in and have it break again if something is malfunctioning.

rivermikerat

December, 31, 2011 AT 7:46 AM

MANUAL TRANSMISSION - GETRAG 5 SPEED -2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
Page 1 of 1
Removal Procedure

1. 2.
3. Remove the console. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement.
Apply the parking brake.
Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
Fig. 62: View Of Cable Retainer
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
4. 5.
Lift up the cable retainers.
Disconnect cable ends from the shift control assembly, noting the location for assembly.
Fig. 63: View Of Shift Cables, Cable Connections & Shift Cable Bracket Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
6. 7.
8. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
9. 10. 11.
Disconnect the cable ends from the transmission shift levers, noting the location for assembly. Remove the shift cable from the transmission cable bracket.
Remove the shift cable attachment nut from the underbody. Lower the vehicle.
Remove the left instrument panel closeout panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side.
12. Position the drivers side front carpet aside. Refer to Floor Panel Carpet Replacement.
Fig. 64: Locating Floor Pan Grommet & Mounting Nuts Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
13. 14.
Separate the grommet (1) from the floor pan.
Remove the cable from the vehicle by pulling the cables through the drivers floor opening.

Page 1 of 1
Removal Procedure

1. 2.
Apply the parking brake.
Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
Fig. 62: View Of Cable Retainer
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
4. 5.
Lift up the cable retainers.
6. 7.
9. 10. 11.
13. 14.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Automatic Transmission Service
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions