I HAVE A 2006 CHEVY COBALT THE KEY IS STUCK IN ...

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

fabrizianthony

February, 18, 2011 AT 5:17 PM

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt the key is stuck in the acc position and the shifter button is also stuck cannot get key to off position or out of ignition

saturntech9

February, 18, 2011 AT 7:54 PM

The reason your key won't turn off is because your shifter button is stuck if the shifter doesn't fully release in the park position then the little micro switch on the shifter assembly doesn't allow the key to be turned off. So does the shifter lock into park?Meaning you don't have to push the button to pull the shifter out of park?Your going to have to get into the shifter to see why it's sticking. Do you have tools and know how to work on thing's?

fabrizianthony

February, 18, 2011 AT 9:28 PM

The shifter itself can move to all positions so I think it is the sensor and the buttton just stays inside the **** so its gotta be that piece inside that makes the button go in and out becuause it seems like the spring or whatever it is is shot

saturntech9

February, 18, 2011 AT 9:41 PM

It's the handle or shifter assembly sticking I have even seen the lower part of the shifters get bent and not allow the buttons to release. If you fix the shifter not sticking you probably will fix the problem with the key not turning off. Do you need instruction's on how to pull the center console so you can see why it's sticking?

fabrizianthony

February, 18, 2011 AT 9:47 PM

The shifter is not sticking tho it moves fine its just the button on the shifter is broken

saturntech9

February, 18, 2011 AT 10:02 PM

If the shifter moves without pushing the button the button is causing the shifter to stick in the release position and also causing the micro switch on the base of the shifter to not allow the key to turn off. Have you removed the shifter handle to see if that is what is causing the shifter to not lock into place?

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement