Will not shift out of park

BRANDYCURTIS
  • 2007 CHEVROLET COBALT
Had no problems prior to this. Husband went out to come home from work and when he started the car it turned over fine, but when he went to shift into gear the shifter would not move. Transmission is automatic. I told him to attempt to shift to neutral with key is accessories, he said it was a no go. He is stuck in another state. Please help.
Saturday, July 11th, 2015 AT 10:40 AM

It could be a couple things. First, there is a park lock solenoid which prevents the shifter from being moved from park unless your foot is on the brake. So, check to see if the brake lights are coming on. If they are not, chances are either there is a bad fuse or the brake light switch is bad. If they are coming on lets test the shift lock solenoid for power.

Here is a guide and the location of the solenoid:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (below).

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
Sunday, July 12th, 2015 AT 8:09 PM
LATOYARHODES
My husband took the console apart to find the shifter was jammed because a tooth pick got down in there holding the release from working lol. All fixed thanks for your help.
Friday, April 20th, 2018 AT 5:01 PM