2006 Chrysler Town and Country High Pitched Whining

SCOTT3471
  • 2006 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
After I drive my van for a period of 30-45 minutes on the highway, I begin to hear a high-pitched whining noise. It gets louder as I accelerate and remains even after I am parked. After slow driving for about another 30 minutes, the noise goes away.

I took it to the transmission shop and they replaced the torque converter, but the noise did not go away.

I read that it might coming from the power steering pump when the fluid gets hot.

If anyone had this problem, or know what it might be, please let me know. I wasted $2200 on the torque converter and don't want to waste any more.

Thanks,
Scott
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 1:22 PM

When you say it still does it when parked, do you mean the engine is still running? If so, listen to the power steering pump. Your mechanic will poke around with a stethoscope.

If the noise continues after the engine is stopped, for how long? Worn bearings in the radiator fan motor can cause a weird howling sound when the fan blade spins in the wind from highway driving, and when the motor runs in city driving. If the noise continues for up to a minute after stopping the engine, suspect stored refrigerant equalizing in the AC system. You should not hear that noise if the AC is turned off. (The AC runs in the defrost mode too).

Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 11:42 AM
SCOTT3471
Thanks for the answer. The whining continues when placed in Park with the engine on.

I will take the van to the mechanic for the power steering pump.
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 11:47 AM
2CARPROS LINSEY
We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future. Thank you
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 12:26 PM
BRUCER
I have same problem exactly! And it is hard to bring to mechanic to check it out because it only happens after driving at highway speeds. It goes away after driving at slower speeds. Did the power steering check work?
+1
Saturday, December 31st, 2011 AT 8:43 AM
DCBLINK
I have the same problem in my T&C, was it the steering pump?
+2
Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 9:02 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
An easy and cheap way to see if it is the power steering pump is to buy a 3-4 foot length of vacuum or fuel hose. One end goes in your ear, the other is placed near the offending part. Start the engine and bring the RPMs up to between 200 and 2500. Place the end of the tube near the power steering pump, with the other end in your ear. If you don't hear the noise, move the tube around until you do. Let us know where you hear the noise the most from.
Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 12:52 AM