IGNITION SWITCH

• Sean03
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SSR

My dads ignition switch went on his 2006 chevy ssr. It was still under warrenty when they replaced it. I got a feeling it went again because it won't start. Battery is good and it is showing good voltage on the gauges. How do you replace the ignition switch on the ssr. If so could you tell me step by step on how to replace it. Also if you have pictures that would be helpfull to. Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 7:46 PM

• Saturntech9

Its a common issue for those switches to fail causing no starts. They redesigned them 3 or 4 times. Is the security light on?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 8:33 PM
  • Sean03

No the check engine light is on and it is yellow. My dad got it started and he left. Now my brother just told me the power failure light just came on. Any idea. Thanks

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 8:37 PM
  • Saturntech9

I was asking about the security light being on when it wasnt starting?Indicating a possible failure of the pass lock sensor in the ignition switch. Also the check engine light is on while the engine is running?Now the reduced performance light is on while driving?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 8:42 PM
  • Sean03

No the security light wasnt on. It wouldn't start. When it did start. Thats when the check engine came on. Then my brother drove it back to work to get my mom and it was still running. Then he noticed the power failure light came on.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 8:49 PM
  • Saturntech9

Sounds like the reduced performance mode light meaning there is a failure in the throttle by wire system. The first thing we need to do is have the computer scanned for codes thats are starting point. Let me know the exact code numbers you have. Not code descriptions.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 8:57 PM
  • Sean03

Ok when the truck gets here I will pull the codes off with my computer. My dad says it trys to kick over so I have had this problem before. Only with my 1992 cadillac deville I replaced the fuel filter and it still wouldnt fire off but it would turn over but not start. I found out that my ecc went bad. Could it be the engine control computer. Or maybe the fuel filter. Thanks so much for helping me.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:01 PM
  • Sean03

My brother said it lost power meaning horse power. My mom said it went from 45 to 35 to 25 and then quit running. Could this be the throttle body.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
  • Sean03

Ok the codes are c0300 p0102 p0443 and p1682

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:48 PM
  • Saturntech9

Do you have the 2.2 or 2.4L engine?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • Sean03

No it is a 2006 Chevy SSR 6.0L

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:20 PM