CANT GET TIE ROD END LOOSE

2005 Subaru Outback

GregScSt

October, 15, 2011 AT 8:24 PM

'05 Subaru Outback tie rod end crown nut will not back off the screw. The screw turns with the nut. I don't see an apparent way to get a hold of the screw. Should the screw turn freely?

The cotter pin is removed, am checking to verify that it is completely clear. There is no screw driver head in the screw. The screw doesn't at turn the bottom side of the tie rod end.

caradiodoc

October, 15, 2011 AT 8:33 PM

As near as I can tell, you can't get the nut off the stud. Use a large channel lock pliers to force the stud up into the hole in the steering arm. It's a tapered stud, and that pressure from the pliers will wedge it into the taper to hold it from spinning. If you're replacing the outer tie rod end, you can also cut the stud off or cut the nut in half with an air cutoff tool. New tie rod ends usually come with a new nut.

GregScSt

October, 15, 2011 AT 8:46 PM

That's right, its the nut on the stud. I've tried cranking the tie end over with large channell locks, I'll try like you say and force the screw into the knucle.

GregScSt

October, 15, 2011 AT 8:58 PM

Can't seem to get enough force into the taper. Don't have air handy but do have a rotozip. Time for some glasses and ear plugs.

GregScSt

October, 15, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

Out standing! Had to cut the nut (insert praise for rotozip here). Had a metal cutting wheel handy. Thanks for the advise, I wouldn't have thought to cut the nut (avoiding the knuckle marerial!) Until sometime next month.

caradiodoc

October, 15, 2011 AT 11:17 PM

Happy to hear it's solved.

Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz