INTERIOR LIGHTS WOULDN'T GO OFF, THEN THEY WERE FLICKERING WHILE I WAS DRIVING. NOW MY CAR'S BATTERY IS DEAD

2005 Saturn Ion

cknauf

January, 30, 2012 AT 5:02 AM

The interior lights came on randomly when I hadn't driven my car in over 24 hours. I re-shut the doors and the trunk. I stepped back and watched the lights dim like they were going to turn off and then come back on as soon as they went off. This happened five times before I turned the light switch off on the main overhead interior light. All of the interior lights went off after that. The next day, the interior click-on lights over the dashboard were going on and off as I was driving. About a week later I left my car at an airport for a week and when I left, the lights were off inside of the car. When I got back, the interior click-on lights were on. The car started, but then when the car was driven back to school, the interior lights were flickering again. My car was parked at my apartment and left there during winter break (the lights were off when I left), but when I got back a little less than a month later, the battery in my car was 100% dead, so I'm assuming the lights came on again at some point during my break. So as of right now my car battery is dead and I haven't tried jumping it yet because I want to know if anyone has a clue what could be wrong with it before I take it into a car auto repair shop.

rivermikerat

January, 30, 2012 AT 5:20 AM

Ion, 1, 2, 3, or redline? It's probably the body control module.

cknauf

January, 30, 2012 AT 5:24 AM

It's a 2005 Saturn Ion 1

rivermikerat

January, 30, 2012 AT 5:43 AM

The body control module is located at the bottom center of the dash. Check the wiring to it, especially the grounds. If everything is ok, it's most likely failed.

saturntech9

Just to add to this one. If the dash lights are flashing on and off also it could be the body control module. The body control is part of the inside fuse box on that car. You will have to take it to a GM dealer to have the body control module changed because the new one has to be programed with the correct mileage calibration file etc.

rivermikerat

Good catch saturntech. I didn't know that last part. Thanks.

saturntech9

January, 31, 2012 AT 3:28 AM

No problem always willing to share my knowledge.

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Alternator testing done right