INTERIOR LIGHTS WOULDN'T GO OFF, THEN THEY WERE FLICKERING WHILE I WAS DRIVING. NOW MY CAR'S BATTERY IS DEAD

• cknauf
  • 2005 Saturn Ion

The interior lights came on randomly when I hadn't driven my car in over 24 hours. I re-shut the doors and the trunk. I stepped back and watched the lights dim like they were going to turn off and then come back on as soon as they went off. This happened five times before I turned the light switch off on the main overhead interior light. All of the interior lights went off after that. The next day, the interior click-on lights over the dashboard were going on and off as I was driving. About a week later I left my car at an airport for a week and when I left, the lights were off inside of the car. When I got back, the interior click-on lights were on. The car started, but then when the car was driven back to school, the interior lights were flickering again. My car was parked at my apartment and left there during winter break (the lights were off when I left), but when I got back a little less than a month later, the battery in my car was 100% dead, so I'm assuming the lights came on again at some point during my break. So as of right now my car battery is dead and I haven't tried jumping it yet because I want to know if anyone has a clue what could be wrong with it before I take it into a car auto repair shop.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 5:02 AM

• rivermikerat

Ion, 1, 2, 3, or redline? It's probably the body control module.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 5:20 AM
  • cknauf

It's a 2005 Saturn Ion 1

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 5:24 AM
  • rivermikerat

The body control module is located at the bottom center of the dash. Check the wiring to it, especially the grounds. If everything is ok, it's most likely failed.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 5:43 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one. If the dash lights are flashing on and off also it could be the body control module. The body control is part of the inside fuse box on that car. You will have to take it to a GM dealer to have the body control module changed because the new one has to be programed with the correct mileage calibration file etc.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 2:19 PM
  • rivermikerat

Good catch saturntech. I didn't know that last part. Thanks.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 11:36 PM
  • saturntech9

No problem always willing to share my knowledge.

Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 AT 3:28 AM