WHY CAN'T I TURN MY ENGINE BY HAND?

2005 Ford Ranger

emilioarriaga

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:54 AM

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger with a 5 speed Automatic 5r55e 3.0 2wd. Stock transmission unit was giving me problems so I recently got a hold of a junkyard transmission for a good price with a low miles. I currently have the new(junkyard) tranny bolted to my block and also the 4 torque converter to flexplate nuts. While hassling with the 4 TC to Flexplate nuts I noticed that I was no longer able to turn the engine by hand. I popped out the spark plugs and still no luck. From previous maintenance, ive been able to use one of the crank pulley bolts as a "spinner" and my engine would easily turn over. Just for curiousity, I bolted up my stock starter and unplugged my coil, and to my surprise it turned over easily with theflick of the ignition, (this is how I ended up turning my engine over for the TC nut installation).
Now I have the 4 nuts in place and my exhaust bolted up, . This time, I left the coil ON, and started my engine, RUNS GREAT but I still cant turn my engine over by hand. Why?

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:59 AM

You do not have the torque converter seated in the front pump. Loosen the trans from the engine and see if the motor turns. If it does, you will have to remove the trans and properly install the torque converter

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX