Cooling fan not working

MADHATTER503
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
With the temperature still in the low twenties, it is not am issue now, but when the spring gets here I will need it to work! Relay was tested, fuse good, but fan will not engage, even with A/C on. I jumped the fans and they work fine. Dealer said bad PCM or wiring issue as they changed temperature sensor to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 4:44 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Okay, who tested the Relay? In my experience with that relay I have not been able to accurately test it and have replace to find that it was bad. And I take it the relay tested was located at the front frame rail on driver side.

Now with the fuse, was it tested with a meter or just looked at? I have found with just looking at them it is hard to tell if it is blown or not.

Also, is or was your engine light on? If it is now or was on and still is would have codes pulled. Could be that the coolant sensor that was replaced is defective, does not happen often but it does happen.

Note : A bad sensor will turn engine light on. A bad relay in most cases will not.

I have attached diagrams.

Fuse #27 is the 40 amp radiator fan.
+8
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 6:59 AM
MADHATTER503
Thank you for your quick response. First, my mechanic removed the front grill to access the relay. He plugged a tool into a wire harness that tested the circuit and stated that the fuse and relay were working. Not sure how fuse was tested but I have a multi-meter and can check. "check engine" light is on. Have not replaced sensor, but took it to dealer who said PCM or bad wire. I will check fuse, but I believe my mechanic said that there was power to relay. The A/C should trigger a fan regardless if the sensor is bad? Can an issue with the A/C circuit cause the problem? Thanks again.
+3
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 9:09 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Okay, no the A/C will not trigger fan with bad relay. The temperature sensor signals the relay to trigger the fan/s.

You said he connect to the wiring harness of the sensor, do you know if it also connected to the relay? If just connected to wiring harness then he just check to see if harness was good and getting power, so yes the fuse is most likely good but if did not connect to relay how can he say it is good.

Okay, can you take it to an auto parts store and have them read codes? Right it/them down and post please.

And to be honest if you go into a shop or dealer and they can tell you do not have a clue or do not know much about vehicle they will rip you off. That is why I work for myself with no employees, I am a Mobile Mechanic.
+4
Thursday, March 6th, 2014 AT 5:15 AM