2005 Chevrolet Silverado gas gauge

GREELEY SMITH
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 150 MILES
I have changed the instrument cluster and gas gauge will not give accurate reading
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 AT 2:17 PM

Were you having this problem before you worked on it? The fuel gage is the only gage your having trouble?
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 AT 3:05 PM
GREELEY SMITH
Yes the speed meter did not work along with gas gauge changed cluster and gas gauge whould not have accurate reading.
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 AT 3:33 PM
The info I looked at was for 5.3L vin B, single tank. The gage will default to empty if, the pcm detects a problem with sending unit circuit or if the ipc detects a problem with class 2 data from pcm.

You may be able to check gage reaction with resisters, get about three, 250 ohm--empty, 140 ohm--1/2 tank, 66 ohm--full tank. If the gage reacts correctly to each resister, I think the problem is the sending unit in the gas tank. If it doesn't react correctly could be a problem with pcm--ipc or wiring circuit.

The wire colors for the sending unit are black--ground, dark blue-- voltage. If you use a resistor between those two wire colors, key on, no need to start it, the gage should react. The voltage is a 5 volt ref circuit from the pcm.

You can get resisters from radio shack, don't cost much. You can also check for applicable trouble codes. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. I just don't know if they will check manufacturer specific codes?
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 AT 3:39 PM
GREELEY SMITH
Thank you. This was very helpful I will try this out.
Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 AT 3:50 PM
Hope you got it going your way.
Thursday, June 25th, 2015 AT 7:25 AM