Transmission suddenly loses drive gear

CINDALEWIS
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Was driving fine. Stopped at red light, had no drive afterwards. Only reverse. What about the solenoid or sensor? The check engine light is not on. The car never showed any signs of transmission problems. It was driving fine, we stopped at a red light, it turned green and the car would not go. Park, reverse and neutral are all fine, but when you get past that neutral, you can see it go into gear but it does nothing. So what do we do? Could the pressure be the problem if it happened so quickly? Do you know a way we can test it at home? We do not have the money to have it towed anywhere to be tested and were going to try to fix it at home.
Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 AT 11:23 PM

SATURNTECH9
It sounds like you have a shift solenoid that is out but to be sure you need to check to make sure you do not have any codes that could lead you to the problem. Also, what color is the transmission fluid?

Here are two guides to help us get started.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Saturday, November 5th, 2011 AT 2:13 AM
CINDALEWIS
We changed the fluid and filter, and the fluid was a little burnt looking but did not smell burnt. The car does not move at all when you put it in drive, 3, 2 or 1. I will try to get a code reader
+4
Saturday, November 5th, 2011 AT 3:01 AM
SATURNTECH9
Was there any silver metal looking stuff in the transmission? I hope you drained the fluid through a rag to look for metal? Also, again any codes? I would check for them.
Saturday, November 5th, 2011 AT 3:39 PM
CINDALEWIS
There was very little silver shavings and it was almost like dust.
+1
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 4:43 PM
SATURNTECH9
Again do you have any codes in the computer? I would check for them.
+1
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 10:03 PM
CINDALEWIS
The car only goes in reverse so we have no way to hook it to a machine. Is there a way to check at home?
-1
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 10:12 PM
SATURNTECH9
Not on that car, you would need a code reader to see any codes. If there are not any codes I would next check the transmissions pressure. You would need a transmission pressure tester gauge set. To fix this yourself your going to have to buy tools and depending on your skill level fixing cars this repair might get over your head.
+2
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 10:27 PM
CINDALEWIS
I took the car into the shop and they replaced the first gear control solenoid and now the car works, I just thought you should know. It cost me $220.00
+2
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM
SATURNTECH9
You are welcome keep me posted.
+2
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 10:38 PM
04MALIBULTV6
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Original engine and transmission. The problem is my girl friend was pulling out of a parking lot and just stopped moving. Car revs up but will not move. The thing is reverse works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 8:23 PM (Merged)
Check the transmission fluid if you can, otherwise you will need a transmission shop to look at it. Maybe something internally wrong with transmission.
OLDZIMER36
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
2.4 w/4t40e auto. Can the TCC solenoid be replaced with the transmission in vehicle?
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 8:25 PM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK
It is showing 8.0 hours labor to replace it, and does not include toe adjustment. It may need transmission removal. In either aspect the side cover needs to be removed. Most of the time to do that, the sub-frame needs to be removed for access. The power-train may be able to be lowered enough to weasel the side pan out, so an engine support fixture would be also needed. I have not done one on a Malibu, but a Cutlass or Alero would be similar. I will look on GM service information, and if there is any specifics I will reply. Often times factory service procedure may call for transmission removal, but it is not always the golden rule.
XJJ2012X
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
How do I fix the reverse on my car?
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 8:26 PM (Merged)
Below are some possible causes. You can talk to a transmission shop? A re-manufactured transmission might be the way to go, if no easy fix is found. I do not have any luck with easy fixes.
-1