2005 Chevrolet Equinox ECM no throttle

STEELHED
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
My chevy equinox will slow down with no throttle control. Both engine lights come on and book says get to the nearest dealer. We live in a remote area of Alaska, no roads to mainland. Occasionally the engine will run just fine. The engine scanner says, "lost contact with throttle actuator control module". Been like this for over six months. Wife is not happy. The car will run with no throttle control. It takes off very slowly and slowly gains rpm/speed. Speed will increase to about 35mph on level ground. When you brake the rpm drops, let off the brake and rpm increases. No throttle pedal control. Drove the car this past hour, made a slow uturn and the rpm dropped while in gear with no brake. I found earlier when that happens you can turn off the ignition, wait too the count of ten and the car will start/run normally.(Sometimes). I can go start the car now and it may or may not start normally. The car has run at reduced rpm for months with occasional normal operation. I could sure use some advice. Regg in Alaska
Friday, April 4th, 2014 AT 4:46 PM

Alaska? Too cold there for me. Lol We are finally starting to see spring and I can't wait till it gets warm.

Regardless, it sounds like the TPS (throttle position sensor) is bad. However, without having the computer scanned to get the trouble codes, that is a guess. Is there anywhere you could access a scanner to check the codes?
+1
Friday, April 4th, 2014 AT 7:10 PM
MAXIMILIAM
Followed your advice. Purchased a new throttle actuator($264) installed it and no change. Scanner says "lost contact with throttle actuator". Checked all wiring and it looks in good shape. The car decided to run properly a few days ago. I drove to the store and around town. Parked the car overnight, would not run with throttle control the next morning. I have disconnected the battery and left it overnight. Re-connected the battery, car still will not run with throttle control. The car is in the driveway with the new throttle control actuator and will not run with throttle control.

You start the engine, its revs up and settles to idle. Put it in gear and it will very slowly gain rpm. As you gain speed it will accelerate to about 25-30 mph. No throttle control(foot feed). I noticed that before the car reverts to normal operation, it will decrease throttle to very low idle. I turn the engine off and wait ten seconds and the car will operate normally. The normal operation will not last long and the car reverts back to no throttle control. I am beginning to think I have a faulty ecm. Do you have any ideas?

Regg in Alaska
+2
Monday, April 14th, 2014 AT 3:16 AM