TROUBLE CODE P0304

2005 Chevrolet Colorado

bschrum

November, 28, 2011 AT 7:41 PM

Two weeks ago the vehicle developed a misfire. Scanner gave a P0304 code stating cyl. No. 4 misfire. Replaced the coil which cleared the problem for two weeks. Same problem - same code. Part store exchanged the coil. Installed new coil but misfire still there. Swapped coils on cylinders - problem stayed on cyl. 4. Checked wiring and found nothing. Have +12v on pink wire - ground on black - looks like pulses on green wire (at least #4 looks like the other cylinders). Pulled PCM off firewall to inspect it - found nothing obvious. After putting PCM back cyl. 4 still misfiring, door locks do not work, driver's window will not move, and clock reset to 1200. Do I have a bad plug at the PCM or do you think there might be other issues?

P0171 & P0304

Wrenchtech

November, 28, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

Did you try swapping the plug with another cylinder too?

Take a compression test also.

November, 28, 2011 AT 8:12 PM

First of all, you missed the obvious. Try changing the spark plug and I bet your issue with the 304 is gone

if you disconnected the pcm, you now have to have the pcm re flashed or re programmed. You ereased the memory in the pcm.

Wrenchtech

November, 28, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

You shouldn't have any programming problems with the PCM. It will lose the adaptive memory and any codes stored but that should be all.

bschrum

November, 29, 2011 AT 3:55 AM

Changed the spark plugs with the new coil with no improvement. Compression is good. Did not disconnect the PCM - just detached it from the firewall (plastic fingers).

Wrenchtech

November, 29, 2011 AT 10:48 AM

If the spark is good, compression is good, that only leaves the fuel injector. You can try moving that injector to a different cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it.

bschrum

November, 29, 2011 AT 2:44 PM

Thought about the injector too. I was probably not clear. I changed the spark plugs but still have no spark out of four. I put a plug in the coil out of the cylinder to check that. Checked all the voltages on the plug but not sure if I am seeing pulses on the green wire. That is the wire that goes back to the PCM. With all the other issues (door locks, driver's window, and radio) I am still wondering about the plug going into the PCM.

Wrenchtech

November, 29, 2011 AT 8:03 PM

If you have power and pulse to the coil, you should have spark if the coil is good, assuming you are grounding the spark plug or using a spark tester which is what you should be doing.

bschrum

November, 29, 2011 AT 10:24 PM

I know I have power and ground but I am not sure if I have pulse to coil. Any down and dirty way to test that?

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang