2004 Mini Cooper S Fuel problem

J7161
  • 2004 MINI COOPER S
Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I replaced the fuel filter on my cooper s today. After replacement, the car cranks but will not start. I primed the fuel pump several times and no help. I stripped the filter again and checked installation (all ok)

Primed fuel pump again and still no joy. When the ignition is switched on I can hear the fuel pump from the opposite side to the filter but am not receiving any fuel flow past the filter or at rail.
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 9:37 AM

The fuel pump may run but will it make pressure? Can you check fuel pressure? Right now I'm wondering if your fuel pump will make pressure? Are you getting fuel to the filter? Be aware of fuel pressure if there is any?

I have to say, I've never worked on your make and model, but, the basics are still the basics.
-1
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 9:58 AM
J7161
Good afternoon,

After I re-stripped the filter the first time there was no fuel in the filter at all.

I manually filled the filter to see if that would help and again or didn't start. After this I disconnected the fuel line from the filter to engine at the filter connector and not pressure in the line.

Could it be the fuel pump? Seems strange it was working perfectly before I replaced the filter?
+1
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 10:14 AM
J7161
Also no pressure at fuel rail obviously
Yes, it could be the fuel pump? I was trying to look up info in our database, does the fuel filter sit on top of pump or different tank location? If good voltage and ground at the pump and no clogged lines, then yes, I think the fuel pump is faulty.
+1
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 10:29 AM
J7161
Thank you.

The fuel pump is in the opposite side to the filter itself so hasn't been touched yet.

What could cause the pump to fail if it was working perfectly prior to the filter replacement?

Would this be the reason why I have no pressure and the filter isn't filling up? I have replaced fuel pumps/filters before and never had an issue. Hence me coming to the experts (you)
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 10:41 AM
J7161
The car was running perfectly 30 minutes before the filter replacement
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 10:47 AM
Some pumps will give a little notice before they fail completely, some won't. Some bulletins suggest you don't use ethanol. Also, you need to make sure fuel tank is clean before replacing pump.

There has to be a connection/hose or fuel line between the filter and pump. Make sure that line is ok, not clogged or leaking gas.

Regardless of title, some experts are more expert than others.
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 11:27 AM