WON'T START

2004 Mercury Sable

storm171977

June, 19, 2011 AT 5:59 PM

2004 Mercury sable won't start. It'll crank but won't start. I had just got gas, it started but died in wal-mart parking lot. I left it for about an hour, it started up but didn't stay running long at all. I got maybe a couple parking rows and it died and wouldn't fire again. Car will crank, just won't start.

June, 19, 2011 AT 6:30 PM

Does it even try?

Remember to watch out for those PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS!!!--A FIRE EXTINGUISHER SHOULD BE HANDY TOO!

While it does nothing

Check for spark---Pull a plug wire off of a plug--stick something metal, such as a small nail, in beside the metal connector inside the boot---then hold it 1/4 inch from metal on the engine---have someone crank the car over several times---do you have a "Snapping" Spark, jumping from the nail to the engine???.....If not this may be an ignition problem.

Maybe put your plug wire back and try this:

If you can remove the big hose, or snorkel, from the throttle body---give a 2 second blast of "Starter Fluid" into the throttle body---then have some one attempt to start.....Does it start/ or try to? Might be a "lack of fuel issue"

These tests might aid us in knowing which direction to go, to search for a fix.

Detailed info from you is a plus!

Not too long ago, I got a quart of water, during a fill up! (This may not be your problem) It was real fun, getting it out!

Here's some additional info from our site:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Others may jump in and help

Your turn

The Medic

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right