Occasionaly car will not start on first or second try.

CORAHSMOMMY
  • 2004 KIA RIO
The battery, alternator and starter have tested fine and in good working order. All cables and connections are tight. When the key is turned to start the car all the lights on the dash come on but the car does not start and does not make any sort of odd sound. Nothing I do makes it start I just have to keep turing the key and eventually it will start. I have tried jiggeling the key to start and that doesnt help I have also tried putting it in neutral to start and that doesnt work either.
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 11:17 PM

CORAHSMOMMY
I had a friend who works on cars look at it and said it is not a fuel problem. He thinks it is the neutral safety switch or the starter solenoid. Opinions?
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 12:23 AM
Could also be the ignition switch, transmission range switch or a starter relay-loose connections
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 12:29 AM
CORAHSMOMMY
The ignition switch was what was origionally suggested to me and I was told to jiggle the key and if it started after that then that was what it was but jiggleing the key does nothing to make it start. I dont know what the transmission range switch is. Where is the starter relay connections? Is it just the wires that are hooked to the starter?
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 1:12 AM
CORAHSMOMMY
Oh also, it seems to have this problem mostly after work. I drive 30 minutes to work monday -friday and I work 8.5 hours and when I go to leave I struggle to get it to start.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 2:29 AM
Raz is correct. It could be any of the things he mentioned. As far as the trans range switch, it tells the computer the gear selection. What to do is this, when it doesn't start, have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the starter. If there is power, the starter motor is most likely bad. If there is no power, then work back to the starter relay to see if there is power there.
+1
Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 4:04 AM