Fuel pump issue

LOCDOC2
  • 2004 KIA OPTIMA
I recently replaced my fuel filter on my Kia Optima 2004 2.4L and when done it was not pumping fuel. It is the one that is inside the fuel tank. I tried removing it and wrapped on it to try to jump start it and no good. I then checked the fuse and it was good. Checked around the web and the Kia dealer and there is not an emergency shut off from what I am told. I went and got a new fuel pump, installed it and found that it was doing the same thing, when you crank the engine there is very little pressure pumping the fuel out the top of the pump. What am I missing?
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM

WRENCHTECH
In the future, they put that filter inside the tank to make it non-serviceable. It does not need replacing.
I suspect you have damaged the wiring somewhere and you's have to find out where. You may have left a ground wire off or damaged a plug.
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM
WRENCHTECH
I stand corrected. I see this one is external. It still has to be a wiring issue.
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:02 PM
KHLOW2008
Use a voltmeter to test the voltage going to the fuel pump. It should be battery voltage. Anything below that could mean a bad relay or fuse contact.
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:36 PM
LOCDOC2
I did check voltage and when it is pumping I am getting 11.7 volts
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:59 PM
KHLOW2008
With 11.7 volts, it should be sufficient to run the pump correctly. If you are not getting the correct pressure, possible causes are :

1. Weak pump. New pumps are known to fail as well.
2. Insufficient grounding.
3. Leakages between pump and outlet. Recheck the pump to filter installation. Ensure hose between pump and filter is securely attached.
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 12:58 PM
WRENCHTECH
It's possible that you could have pinched one of the plastic fuel lines between the tank and body when putting the tank back up.
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM