2004 Honda Civic water leak

CARCARER1
  • 2004 HONDA CIVIC
I have had a puddle on the driver's side of my car for quite awhile.

The mechanic told me that the leak was in the cowl. He asked if I'd ever been in an accident and I had been. Someone had run into the driver's side door.

The mechanic told me that was the auto body shop's fault. They hadn't sealed the seam well enough. (Btw, my car has not been in any other major accidents. Just some back bumper stuff)

I took the car back to the auto body shop. They were willing to repair the problem (they said). 2 weeks later I got a call that the problem could never have been caused by them but they sealed the seam anyway.

long story shorter, problem still not fixed. They were not honest with me when I first brought my car in so I have to wonder if they even did the work.

I don't know whether to pursue this legally; to get it fixed through some other means or to just let go of the car.

what do you think? Do you think there could be another explanation and that they aren't at fault? The mechanic who originally ckd out my7 car said that without this water leak problem, the car was in excellent condition.

thanks!

Sunday, March 29th, 2015 AT 12:16 PM

DR LOOT
First of all I am confused. This isn't a boat "They hadn't sealed the seam well enough". This is a vehicle and I don't believe there are any body seams on that car that holds water or coolant, it is either the radiator or it is a heater core inside the vehicle take it to a competent shop and have them tell you what is wrong with the car and then bring me word
Sunday, March 29th, 2015 AT 8:23 PM
CARCARER1
First of all, you're wonderful for taking time to answer the question.

Apparently, the water is not coming through from any part of the car that holds water. It's water from rain etc. That seeps in because the seam came apart in that area. The mechanic said it was the cowl and the auto body guy who fixed my car after my accident didn't fix it well enough.

Here's my problem. If I take it to a shop and keep spending money on something that isn't getting fixed, it's just wasted money. I'm wondering if I can hold onto this car for another year or just let it go sooner. So I was hoping that someone had an idea before I started doing that. But I do appreciate your feedback.
Monday, March 30th, 2015 AT 4:26 AM
DR LOOT
Greetings: it is difficult to understand your position due to translation errors in your story, I am trying to read between the lines to see how I can help you. If I understand you correctly that the vehicle was an accident, the body shop did not properly repair it, and so now it's leaking water? If that is the case and you paid the body shop to repair your vehicle I would return it to the body shop who repaired your vehicle and tell them I thought your complaint, and that you already paid them for the repair and that the repair was improperly done. There's only two places where water can come in, #1 would be the front windshield seal is leaking #2 the fresh air intake duct which supplies air inside the vehicle which is located below the windshield wipers on the right side.
Tuesday, March 31st, 2015 AT 8:38 AM
CARCARER1
You are the best for trying!

I'm sorry I was unclear, let me try to be clearer.

I took my car to a mechanic because I was getting a huge water leak on the driver's side.

The mechanic, after extensive search told me that the water was coming in through the cowel. Now, I am not a car person, so he explained it by asking. Were you ever in an accident?

I told him I was. Someone ran into the driver's side door.

He told me that the water was coming in through a seam in the cowel. AND it all made sense because, according to the mechanic the auto body guy did shoddy work in fixing the car after the accident and that resulted in a bad seam.

I brought the car back to the auto body shop that had done the work ( the work was done about 3 years ago)

the auto body shop said he would refix the problem. Two weeks later, he called me and said it was fixed. He told me that the problem was in the seam and it wasn't due to his original body work fix.

(I called back the mechanic to ask him if that could be true. Could it be that the problem was not the auto body guy's fault. The mechanic said. It was most probably the auto body guy's bad repair. I also have to say that I caught this auto body guy in so many lies in my dealing with him, I would say that his word was suspect.)

long story getting to the end, the auto body guy probably didn't fix the problem cause I am still getting major leak. I would not be surprised if he just told me he fixed it but let the car sit there for the weeks.

Is this a clearer account? Again, thanks!
Saturday, April 4th, 2015 AT 9:02 AM
DR LOOT
That was very good thank you, now I have some questions of my own, why did it take three years to start leaking? He could have repaired it inappropriate and in time it started to leak, the way the body guy acted you cannot blame him the repair is three years old I don't think I could remember much after three years especially after working on hundreds of vehicles. What I would do if I was you go to a different body shop have them look at it get a second opinion and see what really happened if it was the first body shop's fault or due to three years of driving the vehicle if the repair it just failed or if the repair now is getting worse and needs a tuneup. At any rate if it is in fact the body shop's fall and they cannot fix it correctly I would talk to my insurance company tell them the problem and see what they tell you.
Monday, April 6th, 2015 AT 9:00 PM
CARCARER1
Again, thank you so much.

It didn't take that long. I'd always smelled this moldy smell, so much so that I had the a/c and other things checked.

Never found what it was.

In June of this past year, a car hit my bumper (my car was parked) and it was after that that the water came in like crazy. Diff mechanics and auto body shop guys had different opinions. Some said that bang could never have made the problem worse. Others said that with the way cars are constructed, the bump could have added an energy that split the seam even more.

So, again, the mechanic said the problem was the cowel. The body shop I took it back too was really nice, but I have to tell you, I don't believe he did the work. He said he did. He said it wasn't from his original fix and that he was being nice for fixing it for me, but he never did the work. And I question it because when I originally took the car to him, he lied about having done work he didn't do and I had to bring the insurance company into it.

But your suggestion is really a good one. The mechanic hinted that to fix the problem would be more than the car was worth, so I never even figured to go to a body shop to see what they would think.

Thank you again for spending so much time on this! Really appreciate your help!
Wednesday, April 8th, 2015 AT 3:32 AM