NOISY VALVES AND LIFTERS

2004 Ford Explorer

Saki

March, 9, 2011 AT 3:20 PM

Is there an oil additive to reduce noise from valves and lifters, the last oil change brought noises, I read manual and says incorrect oil filter can generate starting noises and knocking, installed a motorcraft oil filter still noisy what you suggest?

Lifters

Lifters

caradiodoc

March, 9, 2011 AT 3:47 PM

That noise they're referring to is a slight rattle that only lasts for a few seconds at engine start-up. It is caused by oil draining down out of some of the passages when the engine is stopped. Some oil filters do not have an internal check valve to prevent that. Normally that is not a serious problem. Ford has had some problems with wear on the ends of the pushrods causing a clicking sound but since this problem seems to have started suddenly, the best place to start is by having the oil pressure tested with a mechanical gauge. If it is low, addressing that problem will solve the noise problem. If pressure is normal, have an experienced mechanic listen to the noise to help determine what is causing it. Oil additives should not be necessary if you use good-quality oil. They won't solve mechanical problems either if that's what it turns out to be.

fixitmr

March, 9, 2011 AT 4:53 PM

I had luck quieting mine down using LUCAS oil stabilizer.

caradiodoc

March, 9, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

Do you know what was causing the noise? Was it worn parts or just high mileage in general?

fixitmr

March, 10, 2011 AT 1:46 AM

Not real high mileage(125k) only a couple were noisy at start up 1 very noticeably. Gm 3.1 v6.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars