Door Ajar Light

TARRBABY@101
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
Door ajar light stays on after doors are closed.
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 9:30 PM

ACKNATIVE
It sounds like the micro switch inside the latch on the drivers door is out try spraying the door latch with CRC, worked for me. FYI
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 1:15 PM
RIGGS88
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
As I turned off my vehicle and got out, I closed the driver side door and then opened the driver side backseat door. I closed the door and pushed the lock key on my remote twice. The horn usually honks once. This time the horn honked quickly twice. I thought this was strange and then noticed that the dome light did not go off. I unlocked the door, opened it, and then shut it again and pushed the lock key twice on my remote and the result was the same. I got into the vehicle and started the engine. The door ajar light remained on after the other lights went off. I got out and opened all doors, including the back window and tailgate door, and shut them all. The light still remained on. I put the vehicle in drive and moved forward a little and noticed that the doors did not automatically lock and they would not manually lock by pushing the buttons. I turned off the vehicle and waited a while to see what would happen. Over an hour later, the dome light was still on and the door ajar light is on when the vehicle is running.
Thursday, March 7th, 2019 AT 12:35 PM (Merged)
ACKNATIVE
I had a problem with 2002 Ford Explorer and was told to spray the door latch with CRC, and it worked for me.
+1
OCEAN1960
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 2004 ford explorer v6 63000 miles door ajar is on lights stay on longer on inside can not unlock doors from inside when I go to lock the car with the alarm on outside it double beeps can you tell me the problem thank you

door ajar is on inside light stays on longer than it should, cannot unlock doors from inside when I go to lock the car with the alarm double beeps

can you help me?
+1
Check to see if wires have rusted/corroded off after you remove switch. It also may be a module problem. Also check fuses underhood as well as inside truck.
KYLLER
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
2004 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

door ajar light in dashboard keeps pinging
DOCFIXIT
Check all doors for fit and see if boot is off one of the door switches.
LANIESJOURNEY@YAHOO.COM
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
My door ajar light has been staying on, after car is shut off, as well as when it is driving down the road. Sometimes it might go out, and sometimes it goes on and off (door ajar, door not ajar). Doors will lock and unlock by themselves, and alarm will go off for no reason. I have read to wd 40 the latch- where exactly is that located? Just a note - our rear driver side window is off the track, but this did not start when that happened. If you could also let me know how to get the door panel off to get the window back on track that would be great.
QUINNSFT34
I am having the same problem. Are your dome interior lights staying on until they finally go off on their own? Whenever that is. I had the same problems you described did you ever get a response?
+2
DAVE H
The door ajar warning/interior light switch is located in the door locking mechanism. (Door latch). The switch sticks. Spray WD40 onto/into lock area to lubricate it !
-2
QUINNSFT34
Thanks for the previous answer. I am also having a problem where my interior lights don't go out after the car is off and the doors are all shut. I guess they go off after 15 minutes or so because the battery is never dead when I go out to start my car again. To go along with that my panic alarm thing keeps going off at random. I assume all these are related.
DAVE H
These faults could be related to the door ajar switch sticking. The other option you have, is to have the vehicle's computer read by ford's diagnostic tester !

Battery Saver
The battery saver is activated when the instrument cluster module is not receiving voltage input from the ignition switch (OFF position). The instrument cluster module will then provide ground to the battery saver relay coil, activating the relay, for a period of 10 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the off position, or a maximum period of 30 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the on position or a door is ajar, provided that the instrument cluster module does not receive any other input signals within the time-out period. The activated battery saver relay switches voltage to the demand lamp circuit. After time-out, the instrument cluster module disconnects ground from the battery saver relay coil, disabling the demand lamp circuit.
Inspection and Verification
Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of electrical damage:
VISUAL INSPECTION CHART
Electrical
Bulbs
Power distribution/junction box (PD/JB) fuse 2 (30A)
Circuitry
Vehicle security module
Instrument cluster module

If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
check that the program card is correctly installed.
Check the connections to the vehicle.
Check the ignition switch position.
If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
CKT 914, CKT 915 or CKT 693 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to MODULE COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK.
SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out self-test diagnostics.
If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code Index.
If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the SYMPTOM CHART.
SCONNERY
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
My door ajar light is staying on and the interior light won't go off. Where is the sensor for door closed on this model?

6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles
IMPALASS
Hello

I attached several pics. One shows you the location of where the switches are to give you an area to look at. I have also attached wiring diagram. There should be a push button type switch somewhere on the body, so when the door closes it pushes the switch. Some have a little rubber gasket over it. I have attached a pic to show you an example of a couple. The first is on a truck and it is a plunger on the side of the dash. The door hits it and pushes it in when it is closed. The other is on a car. I also gave you the fuse panel, if you pull fuse 27 that should turn your dome light off. Other things too though. Also, this does have a relay for the Interior lights. If you can not find a bad/broken switch, then check that relay.

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_5.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Ford_Wiring_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_11.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_15.jpg

IMPALASS
Hey forgot a couple of the pics

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_4_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_5_2.jpg

+3
SCONNERY
I looked for the switch in the areas you are referring to and this model doesn't have one. This model has an enclosed circular plastic housing that a wiring harness feeds into and it is located on the door of the vehicle about half way up the front side of the door.

I have a repair manual for this vehicle but it doesn't refer to this problem.
-1
MASTERTECHTIM
I have seen this before on the explorer and what I have found is the door ajar switch located inside the door panel, mounted on the door latch gets stuck and what I have found to fix it is spraying wd40 onto latch and opening and closing the door several times usually will work the wd40 into it freeing it up. ***I usually find its the latch that is least used, like the passengers side. Hope this helps
KRISSHELDON
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORERFORD EXPLORER
All doors and tailgate are shut on my 97 explorer. The door ajar light still on and so are all my lights because it thinks a door is open. Please help
PEPPERMRJ
The micro switch in the door latch gets gunked up. Spray the heck out of it with WD 40.

Good luck and let us know. :)
KRISSHELDON
Spraying has not helped got anything else?