AC clutch will not engage

TUMULTOUS
  • 2004 FORD EXPEDITION
The ac in my wife's expedition went out at the end of last summer. The ac worked fine but every time I turned it on it made an awful grinding sound until it finally quit. I got it home and popped the hood and turned the ac on and the clutch would spin a little bit and stop. I unhooked the power to the compressor by just unplugging the power connection so we could have heat this winter. Well, yesterday I replaced the clutch, the bearing and the pulley and got it within Ford factory specifications of the air gap and used only genuine factory parts. Hook the power back to it and tried turning the ac on and the clutch still wont engage. Could it be the relay fuse for the compressor? Or just completely recharged? I checked all the fuses and replaced the ones that were blown also. Please help.
Wednesday, April 1st, 2015 AT 6:15 AM

It sounds like you are loosing power somewhere I would start by checking the relay. Here is a guide to help you see how to run the test.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here is a wiring diagram of the air conditioner system so we can see how the system works.

Here are the relay location (below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
-1
Wednesday, April 1st, 2015 AT 7:52 AM
TUMULTOUS
Yep it was the relay I followed the guide and then replaced it the system works great. Thanks for the diagrams they are awesome.
Wednesday, April 1st, 2015 AT 9:54 AM

Sponsored links