WHY IS MY CAR STILL OVERHEATING?

2004 Dodge Intrepid

Biograd1

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:29 PM

This car was given to me by my ******, in March 2011 it started blowing freeze plugs and loosing coolant, she got fed up with the car and brought a new one, and said I could have this as long as I got it fixed

June 2011(all freeze plugs and water pump was replaced)-car ran well afterwards

August 2011 notice that I'm loosing coolant from the front of my car. The cause was a cracked radiator. So my mechanic replaced the radiator and I was back on the road.

Sept 2011- on my way home the car overheats all of a sudden like five minutes from my house. I pull over and pop the hood and all the coolant is in the overflow tank and boiling hot out the overflow tank. I call my mechanic and he says to allow the car to cool off for an hour and then get it home and park it. Thermostat is replaced but still overheating so he diagnose it as a blown head gasket

Oct. 2011
after head gasket repair, tune up, and timing chain tensioner replacement car still overheats! I'm Puzzled. Radiator cap was replaced too.

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:43 PM

You need a leak down test to re verify that there is no further leakage from the head gaskets. It sounds to me like a cracked head.

Biograd1

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:48 PM

But wouldn't my mechanic has seen that after taking apart and removing the heads. The heads were resurfaced and inspected at a machining shop before new head gaskets were replaced.

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:58 PM

Only if he was looking for it. They need to be pressure tested to make sure.

Biograd1

November, 1, 2011 AT 11:07 PM

Ok I see, after he removed the heads and before he took them to the machining shop he showed me them and the places where there was a little bit of warpage, but he said he didn't find any cracks. I'm a bit puzzled, he still has my car so he's trying to figure what's causing the overheat issue. I'm starting to believe I never had a head gasket issue since after replacing them the problem continues. Others have suggested he go back over his work on the head gaskets to make sure everything is in place. If the leak down test is performed and there appears to be no leaks, what else could cause the overheating issue.

November, 2, 2011 AT 12:03 AM

Clogged radiator, bad thermostat, water pump not working.

I hope he did not jump to conclusions on the heads without checking them first.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500