2004 Chrysler Town and Country P0344 CAM sensor

SLONG391
  • 2004 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Spun rod bearing. Replace crank and bearings, oil pump and timing chain and gears. All were aftermarket parts. Started car and CEL code p0344 then code p0016. Replace both cam and crank sensors and code p0016 stopped setting but the p0344 always is there. Car will long crank sometimes, Using the alldata chart for this code tried to follow the yes and no questions but don't have a DRB scan tool or a lab scope but I did check the 5 volt ref. And it was there. Check the sensor ground and it was good. Checked the cam signal wire voltage Koeo it was 4.98 volts. Also ohm all three cam sensor wires individually from sensor connector to pcm connector and all ohm out at 0.5 ohm. Did try wiggling the harness, checking connectors. Nothing found. This car is driving me crazy.
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 AT 6:18 PM

A lot of independent shops bought Chrysler's DRB3 scanner because with an extra plug-in card, it will do emissions-related stuff on any brand of car sold in the U.S, '96 and newer. I have one for my personal vehicles. If you can't find one at a local shop, almost all aftermarket scanners will do the same things within a few years. Every shop will have something that will cover almost everything on a 2004 model.

What you want to look at is if the cam sensor is listed as "no" or "present", or whatever similar terminology they use. The most common cause of loss of signal is failure to install the paper spacer when installing a used sensor. New ones will have a thick paper spacer stuck on the end to set the critical air gap. That spacer slides off the first time the engine is cranked, but it's job is done by then. Aftermarket sensors can have a thin plastic rib molded on the end to set that gap. When those sensors are reinstalled, you're supposed to cut the remaining part of the rib off, then use a new paper spacer.

If there was no spacer and the sensor was pushed all the way in, it could be broken from hitting the sprocket.
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 AT 10:27 PM
SLONG391
Thanks for the reply but I figured it out. The vehicle is a 2004 but the motor must be a 2005 because the cam sprocket does match the one from 2004. The 2005 has an extra notch that the 2004 doesn't have. I really didn't notice the difference when rebuilding the engine. Going to remove the timing cover and put the old cam sprocket back on
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 8:57 AM
Dandy. Holler back to let me know when it's running without setting a code.
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 AT 9:46 PM