SMOKE FROM MY EXHAUST

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

Fehlschlag

March, 4, 2011 AT 11:54 PM

I'm getting a small amount of white smoke from my exhaust, only when I'm giving the car gas. The most comes out of the exhaust when I'm starting from a dead stop. If I'm parked and don't have the clutch engaged it doesn't throw out nearly as much. My oil level is still the same, and has the appearance and smell that it should. The same with the Antifreeze. I'm a bit perplexed as to what is causing this. At first I assumed it was a blow head gasket but this doesn't quite seem to be the case since coolant and oil levels are the same. I had my transmission fluid changed about a year ago and everything checked out fine then as well.

I've seen videos of bad head gaskets and the cars seem to throw out considerably more white smoke than mine does.

The car is a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T if that helps at all, for any wide known issues that may cause this.

I'm stumped, and don't want to start tearing stuff apart to figure it out as this car is my daily driver, I just don't have the luxury of having it out of commission for too long. The weather right now isn't exactly ideal for my classic.

Fehlschlag

March, 4, 2011 AT 11:59 PM

I feel obligated to include the detail that I have removed the Cat converter from my exhaust, installed a 3inch downpipe and I'm pushing about 12PSI from my turbo. Could it just be that I may be running a little rich? Or that I'm missing a cat? A lack of Vaccuum? Maybe another bad seal.

Fehlschlag

March, 5, 2011 AT 12:02 AM

And. Sorry, I'm trying to be as specific as possible. But I honeslty do not notice a sweet odor coming from my exhaust. I know that can also indicate a coolant leak.

Replace Muffler
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen