2003 Toyota Camry Engine Misfire

BRAHMABULL
  • 2003 TOYOTA CAMRY
My Camry started sputtering when I first started it the other day. After idling rough for a few seconds and after me revving it it stopped and started to run normally. It did it again the next day and the check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone to run the codes and they were "random multiple misfire" and "misfiring on cylinders 2, 3, &4". I changed the sparkplugs thinking this may solve it. I also realized that it may be the individual coil packs but that seemed less likely. It kept doing it and progressively got worse. The check engine light came on again. Then while making a 20 minute drive the other day it started idling rough at every stoplight and I had to rev the engine to prevent it from stalling. 5 minutes later it wouldn't shift beyond 2nd gear so I had to drive really slow to keep the rpms low. When I was almost home I heard a pop noise and when I got home the car was overheating. Anybody have any ideas where I should start.
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 7:17 AM

Misfires are hard to diagnose. Check coolant system for ahead gasket leak then check compression. Then scan for codes again.
-2
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 7:40 AM
BRAHMABULL
I just removed the frame support over the radiator and saw that the radiator is completely ruptured. I guess that was the pop noise that I heard. I'll start by replacing that. When it popped the temp gauge in the car never indicated it was overheating. Is that possible?
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 8:27 AM
Yes because it takes the temp from the engine and not the rad and once the coolant gets to low it doesn't read right.
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 10:44 AM
BRAHMABULL
Ok I replaced the radiator and thermostat. And took it to a repair center to find out what they thought. They read the codes indicating misfire on cylinder 2 & 3 and while the car was running they removed the coils on 2 & 3 and it didn't change anything. So they called me back and told me it was the 2 coil packs. I got the car and replaced the 2 coil packs. No change. It has white smoke coming from the tailpipe while at idle. I'm wondering if it could be something else electrical related. I notice the battery has a lot of corrosion on the terminals. I checked the fuses and fusible links under the hood and they are all good but it seems like the wiring underneath may be corroded too. Does that seem like it could be causing the problem? Is there a component inline before the coil packs that could be causing the problem? If the coil packs and everything else is good but I have a blown head gasket would that make the symptoms too especially the car running the same with the coils connected and disconnected?
+1
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 10:12 AM
See pic for possible causes for misfires these are hard to diagnose although a lot of guys have been having a lot of trouble unless you buy factory coils not aftermarket. However with you saying you are blowing white smoke it is a good possibility that because your radiator blew up it was drastically overheated and blew a head gasket as well. So check for low compression with spark plugs out, and pressurize the coolant system for internal leak. I kind of think that would be the problem area.
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 11:25 AM