Check transmission fluid?

REBBEARD
  • 2003 SATURN VUE
I need to know where I check and put transmission fluid in a 2003 Saturn vue?
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 7:32 PM

KEN

We just happen to have a great video on the transmissions service being done and it shows how to check the fluid level from the dip stick check out he video it shows it clear at 130.

https://youtu.be/D7bgOjIRMMw

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 AT 5:59 PM
KEN

We just happen to have a great video on the transmissions service being done and it shows how to check the fluid level.

https://youtu.be/D7bgOjIRMMw

Cheers, Ken
-1
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 AT 5:59 PM
SHAKO SURGULADZE
  • 2003 SATURN VUE
  • AWD
Hello, my car is gasoline. I was just interesting which fluid is good for my car, and how many liters I need for it? Also, interesting firstly I need to clear whole fluid with high pressure Technics or just remove plug and let fluid spilling itself? Just interesting this, as I see in YouTube video, you are not doing something special just removing plug and spilling fluid, I should do same? Cause some handy craftsman telling me you need to clear it with high pressure to clear whole pipes. Thank you
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 AT 6:01 PM (Merged)
They are referring to a transmission flush. You are talking about a simple fluid and filter change, which is what I recommend. Changing the fluid and filter simply restores the worn-out additives and removes much of the varnish that has formed from the fluid being hot. Only about half of the old fluid drains out and needs to be replaced. The flush gets pretty aggressive and replaces one hundred percent of the fluid. A strong detergent is added first, then must be removed as part of the flush. Some of us feel that detergent can dissolve some of the friction material on the fiber clutch plates.

My limited experience from talking with people who have had flushes done is they were usually trying to solve a pre-existing problem, and when the flush didn't solve it, and that problem became worse, they blamed the flush for the transmission's failure. In fact, the failure was likely going to happen anyway. My opinion is if there is no problem now, there is no value in having a flush service performed, and if there is a problem, a flush is not likely to solve it. If there is any slippage problem, that's due to wear of the clutch plates or a cracked or torn rubber lip seal in the clutch pack. Those are mechanical problems and a flush will never fix a mechanical problem. If the fluid and filter change is way overdue, varnish build-up in the valve body can prevent some of the shift valves from sliding smoothly and freely. That can result in delayed or late shifts. A flush, with that harsh detergent, may solve that, but given some time, the severity of that problem is likely to be reduced just from the new additives from a fluid and filter change.
HILLARY09
  • 2003 SATURN VUE
  • 100 MILES
I drive a 2003 Saturn VUE and just recently hit 100,000 miles. About a month ago, it started acting up. Everytime I stopped at a red light or stop sign and then accelerated on the gas pedal (not aggressively, normally) the RPMs would rev up and the car would go nowhere. It was as if the car was put into park and I was revving up the engine. It would do that whenever I tried to go and if I let off the gas and slowly tried again it would eventually go. NOW it has gotten a lot worse and its whenever I accelerate in general whether it be at a stop and go or just increasing speed. Sometimes I have to let off the gas 2-3 times for it to finally go. It has put me in some dangerous situations with heavy traffic. What is wrong with my car? Is it the transmission? Do I need to have some kind of fluid changed? I don't really have much money so I'm hoping this is not a big issue and is something small that can be fixed.
DOCFIXIT
Suspect trans clutches are slipping eithre due to wear or internal fluid leak. Check fluid make sure it is full also check color should be red/pink? Needs to be checked out by a trans tech already gone a month further driving will cause more damage.
SATURNTECH9
Here's my take on that transmission you have a vti transmission in that vue. It's a piece of junk transmission and what you describe is really common for those transmission's to do. The fluid isn't red or pink it start's off a green color and turn's more brown then black as time goes on. From what you describe you most likely need a side cover which is the input and output shaft's with the belt. That transmission is a belt drive variable ratio transmission. That's a major repair and real expensive to fix. Go get your code's read and I can tell you more.I have seen a fix bad transmission pump's too but then you would need both the pump and the side cover. Plus transmission line's flushing etc.
CYANTN42
  • 2002 SATURN VUE
  • AWD
2002 Saturn Vue 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

WHERE DO YOU FIND ON A SATURN VUE 2002, THE AREA TO CHECK THE TRANSMISSION AND IS IT THE TRANSMISSION THAT WAS TESTED AND NEVER PROCEEDED WITH? THERE IS A LOUD CLUNKING NOISE IN NUETRAL AND PARK BUT WHEN YOU PUT IN DRIVE OR REVERSE, NO SOUND?

RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT OTHERWISE
SERVICE WRITER
The Saturn vue has a CVT transmission. IT takes special fluid and an additive that is only available from the dealer. The level is checked at a certain temperature and accessed through a fill plug-no dipstick.I think it was a dipstick that designed it. You best to have a shop check it. You may have an internal problem, IF I find anything I'll post it.
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 AT 6:02 PM (Merged)
PASKIE
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
2004 Saturn Vue 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141000 miles

Bought it in october 2008 - didn't know about the transmission problem until this week. Now, I took my VUE to the dealer - transmission slipping and such. They asked if I had the transmission oil change done: I did, back in october 2009. Now, they claim that the guy didn't put enough transmission oil (4L) because you can add up to 3L more and that's why I now have problem. My question: If it really was not enough, wouldn't the problem show up prior to 9 months or during winter cold or very warm days like we had here in march (over 30C) and during traffic jams? I mean, to me, 9 months and no error code still showing up?
SATURNTECH9
If you were 3 liter's low on fluid I would think something would show up a lot sooner then 9 month's. If it's not under warranty I don't see a reason why the dealer would say it was low when it wasn't. It does take a out of the ordinary way to set the correct fluid level on them though.I can tell you this though those transmission's on the 4cyl vue's are a piece of junk.I remember the first time I saw one when I went to vue training and even then I didn't like there design.I have repaired so many of those transmission's like major repair's 8 out of 10 repair's the transmission had to come out and be torn down. One vue come's to mind in 50,000 mile's the transmission was repaired twice and replaced once in the same vue.
PASKIE
''If it's not under warranty I don't see a reason why the dealer would say it was low when it wasn't.''

That's the point, still on the extended warranty ( 8 years 160 000 km).
SATURNTECH9
If that's the case then I would get a work order from Saturn stating that the fluid was low and caused the transmission to fail. Then bring the work order to the shop where you had the transmission service done and see if they will take care of the cost of the transmission. If they won't then you will probably have to take them to court.
PASKIE
Thanks a lot for the advice but I will surely not get rid of the only mecanic in here I do trust! Point is that gm sold me that truck knowing there was a potential problem with the tranny and never mentionned anything, now I'm sure they are just willing to get rid of me so any reason, for them, is good. From what I've read on the net, only saturn mecanics can remove the entire 7L, others only 4L. Therefore the remaining 3 would still have been in.

You know, a lady buyin' a car by herself and dealing with 3 mecanics from GM. I hate being taken for a fool.
GINAMACK
  • 2005 SATURN VUE
2005 Saturn Vue 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

How many quarts of oil does the transmission hold?
BRIAN 1
What transmission? Vt25-e 8.53 quarts
5-AT AWD 8.6 FWD 9.1
4t40-e 9.5 quarts
getrag 5-speed 1.8 quarts
all these spec's are after a complete overhaul.