Last week I was driving down the road when I.

SJDON1980
  • 2003 SATURN VUE

Last week I was driving down the road when I heard a grinding noise. After pulling over I seen that the idler pulley is broken. I had to move it home so I started it and drove it about 2 miles to my house in reduced power mode. It started at that point. I got home and proceeded to replace the idler pulley assembly. Removed negative battery cable. I had to take off the motor mount since it was in the way. Replaced the idler pulley assembly and belt. I put everything back together and now the car will crank but not start. Also the fuel tank was almost full since I just filled up and the gauge is reading Empty and the Fuel light will come on and the MIL and Light with Wrench will come on when I attempt to start the car and stay on. I checked relay and fuse and they seem good. I have no fuel pressure and it doesnt seem the fuel pump comes on.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

FREEMBA

To check fuel pump relay

Check fuel pump fuse.
Should be able to hear/feel the fuel pump relay click when the ignition switch is turn to the "on" position. Connect a test light to the fuel pump power wire at the fuel pump connector (at the tank). Turn the key to the "on" position. Does the test light illuminate?
If so, the relay is working.
If not, remove relay and check for power at relay socket.
If power is present, with a test light still connected to the fuel pump power wire at the fuel pump connector (at the tank), temporarily connect a fused jumper between terminals 87 and 30 of the relay socket. If the test light at the fuel pump connector comes on replace relay.

Also,

Checking electric fuel pump operation

Verify that the pump doesn't work (listen for it at the tank as an assistant turns the ignition switch on, he/she should close the door and put on the seat belt to eliminate all the bells when the ignition switch is turned on so that you can hear better---do not crank the vehicle), it should run for about 2 seconds. If you don't hear it running, tap on the tank (within the 2 second run time), sometimes this will get it going.
If it still doesn't work, check fuel pump fuse and relay (should be able to feel/hear the relay click when the ignition switch is turned on. Replace any faulty parts found. If everything checks out so far,
Disconnect the wiring connector at the fuel pump and use a test light to check it for voltage when the ignition switch in turned on. If power is there and yet the pump doesn't work the pump is bad.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:44 PM
SJDON1980

To check at the fuel pump connector at the tank don't I have to drop the tank to get to it? Also I switched relay from the horn since it is the same and the relay works for the horn. I will check if power is present at the relay. So it is possible the fuel pump went out as a coincidence? Since it worked fine until I replaced the pulley assembly?

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:48 PM
SJDON1980

No power to relay. Pump wont make a sound

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 6:01 PM
FREEMBA

Check the underhood and inside fuse boxes for the fuel pump Fuse. Theis fuse supplies power to the fuel pump relay.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 6:54 PM
SJDON1980

Fuse is good

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 7:03 PM
KHLOW2008

Recheck the area you worked on. There is a possibility a ground circuit is not secure.
Which engine do you have?

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 7:26 PM
FREEMBA

Did you use a testlight or voltmeter to check for power in the fuel pump relay socket?

There is very good info on how to test the relay at this site:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 7:29 PM
SJDON1980

V6 engine
Relay is good. Test light was used. Jumped fuel pump ant it came on. Relay where it plugs in has powe but on 30 of relay no power

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 8:29 PM
FREEMBA

When you jump terminals 87 and 30 in the relay socket the fuel pump runs, right?

Does terminal 85 or 86 have power to it with the ignition switch in the "ON" position?

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
SJDON1980

86and 85 no power key on and key off. Power on
87 and 30 power key off
Jump 87 and 30 fuel pump on

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 9:46 PM