WHY MY CAR WONT START?

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

chavacamarena

July, 13, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

I started the car this morning and everything just seemed fine. I came back from work and turned the car off. As a was ready to leave again I hopped into my car and when I tried to turn it on I noticed that it was making a weird "slow-like" crank, the kind you hear when a battery is not fully charged enough to start a car. So I checked tge battery and it seem ok. I checked terminals and posts and it was ok. I yried to start the car again anf thia time it would not even crank, all I hear now is a "clicking sound", iy would not even crank now. Some people tell me that it might be the starter and others say it might be the alternator. I check fuses and they are ok. What could be my problem?

saturntech9

July, 14, 2012 AT 12:10 AM

First of all did you actually have the battery tested?If not thats the first thing I would do. The alternator might not be keeping the battery charged. Or you could just have a bad battery. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

chavacamarena

July, 14, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

Yes. I have a multimeter. I check the baterry and its giving me 12.55 volts ( I setted the multimeter on 20 DC). I checked the voltage of the battery while trying to start the car on, and it goes down to about 12.15. But the same problem persists, the car wont even crank and I just keep hearing that clicking sound.

saturntech9

July, 14, 2012 AT 4:13 AM

Alright with the key in the start position see what the voltage is at the starter on the black wire with a red red stripe?

chavacamarena

July, 15, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

I got a reading of 12.38

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 11:02 PM

Now you have to check the ground cable you should have 2 ohms or less from the negative battery cable post to the engine block?

chavacamarena

July, 16, 2012 AT 12:18 AM

I checked and it gave me a reading of 0.05

saturntech9

July, 16, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

If the battery cables are clean and tight and the connections on the starter are tight. Also if your getting battery voltage to the trigger wire with the key in the start position which you did. Also Check and see and if there is battery voltage at the main battery cable feed from the battery to starter with the key in the start position. If so and the starter is inop you have a bad starter.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang