2003 Mercury Mountaineer Engine won't turn over.

• 1 POST

Last night I parked my Mountaineer in the driveway and now the motor won't turn. In the process of trying to get the starter to turn the motor, I burned up the ground wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter. I replaced the starter today, but I have tried to turn the motor by the harmonic balancer and then through the casing in the Fly Wheel and nothing will turn. There has been nothing indication that there has been a problem. I had to replace an idler pulley a couple months ago because of a terrible noise. I thought it was the timing chain slapping. I took the belt off and ran the motor for a couple minutes with a stethoscope, and it sounded like a fine tuned sewing machine. This did the same thing in January, so I took it to a mechanic. We towed it to his shop and nothing was wrong. I am sooooo confused. Can these transmissions somehow lock the motor up? I can put it in neutral and move the vehicle. This has one of those sealed transmissions that the fluid cannot be checked by easy methods. Has anyone seen this before?

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 5:36 PM

The transmission wouldn't cause the problem you described. Also, the battery cable that goes to the starter should be the positive not the neg. The neg grounds to the engine block. Check to make sure you don't have things mixed up and make sure to replace the bad cable. As far as the engine, however, if you can't turn it by hand, chances are the engine is locked up.

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 8:15 PM