Blue smoke

SHAINA.MARIE
  • 2003 MAZDA PROTEGE

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege 5. Every time I start it up after about 6-8 hours, blue smoke comes out the exhaust. It burns through about 2 quarts of oil a week. We have replaced the PCV valve twice, put on a whole new head with all new valve seals and everything, new spark plugs, new head gasket, and checked the compression of piston rings. Compression is fine. We found that oil was in the PCV valve and draining into the intake manifold. Took out spark plugs and took a flashlight to look down the cylinders. There is a pool of oil on top the pistons in each of the 4 cylinders. Please help! What else could it be?

Well we replaced the valve seals and the head gasket. We did a compression test for the rings and they are all fine and bought a brand new head. Even after replacing all of that it still burns oil. So it sounds like it must be a cracked block.

Love this site :-)

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 12:44 AM

RIVERMIKERAT

Oil accumulating in the cylinders can have only three causes:
1: Bad valve seals.
2: Blown head gasket.
3: Bad rings.
Ok. 4 causes.
4: Cracked head or block.

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:10 AM
SHAINA.MARIE

How much would the block typically cost? How much labor are we talking to replace the it?

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:25 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

I couldn't tell you. It varies by area, age, mileage, and displacement.

Your best bet is to find a used complete motor or block, long or short. Since you have a new head already, I would go with the short block, which doesn't come with the head.

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:40 AM
SHAINA.MARIE

I know some of the symptoms of a cracked block and we don't seem to have any of those symptoms of than the smoke from the exhaust. The antifreeze is clean (no oil in it) and on the contrary the oil does not look milky like it would if there were antifreeze in it. The engine is running fine and is not overheating. Is there still a possibility it's a cracked block even with the absence of those symptoms?

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:45 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Yes. Oil galleries run alongside the cylinder bores. A crack between the gallery and bore wouldn't mix oil and water.

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 2:18 AM
SHAINA.MARIE

Okay. I will look into that. Thank you very much for your help!

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 7:29 AM
JEPPERSON

I have this same issue with my 02 Protégé5. It seems to be a very common problem in this vehicle, but I have yet to hear a fix other than change valve seals, head gasket, piston rings or get a new motor. One thing that I have noticed in my cars is if I start the car in park after 6 to 8hrs it will smoke about 5 seconds after start up when the idle goes down. If I start the car and immediately put it into R or D before the idle goes down and leave it there for about 20 sec than put it into park, I will have zero smoke every time. I can not explain why it will smoke in park, but in gear I will not get smoke. I know this is an old thread but if someone has figured out a fix I would love to hear it.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 7:50 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey JEPPERSON,

This problem is probably due to the oil control rings not working correctly due to a design flaw, oil level level overfilled or oil drain back holes in the cylinder head are blocked somehow.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 12:44 PM
MAKATON
  • MAZDA PROTEGE
  • MERGED

My 97, 1.5 litre Mazda Protege sends out a large cloud of blue smoke when I start the engine in the mornings after a cold night (below 50 deg F). Everything is fine afterwards, and there is no smoke when the car warms up. I've had tune-ups, replaced O2 sensors and catalytic converter even the engine at one point but still can't get rid of this problem. When the weather is warm there's no problem and the car runs well. The mileage is fine and there's no hesitation. My car has 150000 miles on it but the replacement engine only around 60000. Can anybody help me with this problem? Although, it's environmentally bad and quite embarrassing I'd like to keep my investment as long as I can.

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM
NIKOLAYRI
  • MERGED

Hi, I also have exactly the same problem. It looks like the valve stem seals are the problem, but the logic shows that it can be something else. I also want an answer to this.
We will have to try this:
before the start in the cold morning, take out the spark plugs - check if there is oil on one or all of them - if yes - valve stem seals - if no - piston rings (oil rings stuck)

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM