How do I get barsleak out of my system?

JESSICAB
  • 2003 JEEP LIBERTY
Long story short, I tried to take a short cut (barsleak) on my weepy radiator (2003 Liberty) and now I have no cockpit heat unless I am moving.I am assuming there's some grit somewhere there shouldn't be. Replaced my radiator today and was going to go have the whole system flushed but I'm wondering if that will just move the crap into my new radiator.I replaced all the hoses, should I take off the reserve tank and rinse it out before I fill the system with coolant? Oh and. Do you think this will solve the problem with my heat?
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:29 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
It will fix the problem if the heater core is clogged. Do a complete cooling system flush, power flush, not just a coolant swap.

Are both heater hoses getting hot? If they are, the blend doors aren't operating properly and flushing won't help the problem.
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:33 AM
JESSICAB
Thanks. I don't know about the hoses, given that the problem started after I put the stuff in the coolant, I didn't spend a ton of time on diagnosis.I have everything reassembled, I just need to fill it with coolant. I guess I'll fill it up with coolant and drive it to Jiffy Lube for a flush and hope for the best. Thanks for your help.
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 1:57 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Jiffy Lube isn't a flush. They only perform a coolant swap. You want a power flush to dislodge any gunk in the core. Call some shops in the yellow pages until you find one that does a power flush. That means pressurized water or pressurized air and water.

I used to work at a Jiffy Lube.

What you want to see is both radiator hoses disconnected, the lower hose placed in a drain and a pressurized source hooked up to the upper hose.

Conversely, if you have good water pressure at home, you can disconnect the heater hoses from the engine, and connect one to the garden hose. Just be sure to collect the old coolant for proper disposal.
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 2:06 AM
JESSICAB
Ok thanks
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 2:19 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
My pleasure.
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 3:08 AM