WHILE CHANGING THERMOSTAT, LOWER BOLT SHEERED OFF !! NEED BEST FIX.

2004 Jeep Liberty

raypencosky

September, 4, 2012 AT 10:29 PM

Hi, Top bolt on thermostat housing came out easily. Lower bolt snapped off after 1 turn! Flush with thermostat housing. Need advice on best way to get remaining piece of bolt out? Bolt is steel, housing alluminum. I'm a skilled Body Repairman.24 yrs. Not alot of room to get at this. I'm really scared to try drilling and taping this broken bolt out, but know no other way? Any ideas? P.S. This is a really stupid set-up, 8mm bolts right above the steering rack HELP Please.
Thanks, Ray

hmac300

September, 4, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

Drilling is about the only way to do it. Try heating the bolt up after you get it drilled. If it screws into aluminum you have a good chance of pulling the threads out of it.

September, 5, 2012 AT 3:05 AM

THINK USING AN DRILLING, THEN HEATING THE ALUMINUM A FEW MOMENTS WITH A PROPANE OR PLUMBERS "TURBO TORCH" (PROVIDED NOTHING NEARBY COULD BE HURT WITH HEAT), AND THEN USING AN EZ-OUT WOULD DO IT?

THEN THERE, S ALSO THE "FORGET THE HEAT"---FREEZE THE BOLT TO SHRINK IT INSIDE THE ALUMINUM, THEN TRY THE EZ-OUT

I'LL LET YOU BE THE JUDGE OF THIS WORKING FOR HIM OR NOT

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:49 PM

. AND?

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer