2003 I35 Radio

MOOMAN
  • 2003 INFINITI I35

Hello:

I have a 2003 Infiniti i35 with the Nav package. The Bose radio is different with the Nav package, since the 10 CD player is in the trunk, with a single CD player in the dash, for radio or Nav. The model printed on the front of the radio is CK130.

The problem is, apparently at lower temps (below 40 deg), the radio fused circuit has a load of over 2 amps, with nothing on - radio OFF, Ignition Key OFF and removed, car left empty, locked or unlocked. This was discovered when the car would not start due to a dead battery - even though it was fine and just replaced a week ago! I checked with a current meter and troubleshot it down to the 10A radio fuse under the hood. Fuse removed and battery recharged - absolutely no problems starting in cold winter conditions, but no radio!

Also, note the following. Before this occurred, the radio exhibited bizarre behavior in our garage at colder temperatures, starting this fall. I would walk out into the garage too find the Radio ON and producing music, when the car was turned off, key removed hours ago, but only when the radio is left in the ON position. When the radio is left OFF, the same current drain (minus ½ amp) exists without evidence of it being on. Yikes! This obviously makes me suspect the radio itself.

Now with the fuse out, I realize the Nav system no longer works either. So the current drain could be related to radio, Amp, Sub Amp, or Nav system.

My inclination is to remove the radio, test it at 30 deg for a current loss and then if it is OK, the other components in this circuit.

But how do I remove the radio? I have conflicting procedures, believing they are related to the non-Nav Radio package. One repair procedure mentioned a Plastic Trim Removal tool as if it was a common household item! Help!

Thanks so much,

Geoff Hammett

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 3:19 AM

DOCFIXIT

Is fuse your removing in fuse box underhood #30? Trim tool need to get from Snap On, MATCO ect.

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 3:12 PM
MOOMAN

Hi Docfixit:

Yes, the fuse is in the fuse box under the hood, left hand side. It is a 10 amp, blue, double spade type. What did you mean by "#30"? Can I get the trim tool at Pep Boys? Is that the whole name? Is it specifically for Infiniti?

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 9:38 PM
DOCFIXIT

Trim tool generic not sure can get from parts house. Small screwdriver works. Fuse #30 is in box left side see diagrams

Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 1:45 PM
LISTEN777

If your car is like mine the smaller amp to the subwoofer stays on. The bigger amp visible underneath trunk is pushing mids and highs but the smaller one I believe is under the sub. Try unplugging the connector. That might fix your problem. Radio might sound like sht but you'll have sound and GPS.

Hope you found a fix but if not maybe this will work.

2003 Infiniti I35

Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 11:10 PM